Why?

I know the reason behind all, or at least most holidays, and how they came about...but what I mean is why don't we do it everyday?

I mean...why have a BBQ or big turkey dinner or family gathering JUST BECAUSE it's a holiday? For instance...Thanksgiving...my family and I don't sit around saying what we're thankful for and discussing why Thanksgiving came about, but every year we get together and cook a turkey and/or ham and all the side dishes.

And this is not me saying that I'm going to stop celebrating the holidays...it's just something that kind of occured to me the other day as I was driving to WalMart for Thanksgiving dinner items...why so much hype for ONE day? Even for Christmas...again, I know why we have Christmas and where it came from and how it's changed and everything, but is that the ONLY day we can celebrate the birth of Christ (given we don't know the actual date of his birth) and give presents and be with family?

The only one I kind of feel like could only be celebrated on the specific day is the Fourth of July...it's like a birthday. And of course New Years.

My question is definitely why only on holidays do we get together with family for big dinners (I know some do it on a regular basis...but no one that I know)? And why do we only celebrate certain things on certain days...like Veteran's and Memorial Day, are those the ONLY days to celebrate and give thanks to our past, present, and future armed forces? I know they aren't but are those the only days to get together for a BBQ to celebrate it, ya know what I mean??

dlandrum

Asked by dlandrum at 6:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Holidays

• Why not?
    Anonymous

• We usually do a sunday dinner, on kids birthday we cook WHATEVER they want for dinner(OS wanted his own Thanksgiving one year) We try to have big dinner whenever we can, when niece comes in from college, we celebrate like holiday. Im not sure if others do but we do it often. BBQ when ever we can get families together. but I do know what you mean---I always say I don't celebrate Valentines Day because no one should tell DH to be nice and buy me something!
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 7:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• We are all free to celebrate anything we want to whenever we want to. We have several big family/friend bbqs all summer long. Also, Christmas is a birthday too =) As for the other days, its good that we have a specific day when most of us can be off work to celebrate.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I'm not saying don't...I am asking why only on those days? My family and I celebrate on those days and I doubt that it's going to change, but like I said...it's just something that hit me the other day when I went to do some Thanksgiving shopping...
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I always say I don't celebrate Valentines Day because no one should tell DH to be nice and buy me something!

--This is very true and one that I should've mentioned in my question...to me this is the BEST example of what I'm asking.

Also, Christmas is a birthday too =)

--This is true...but I've also heard that the birth of Christ has never been proven to be on that day (like I mentioned).
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think there is no answer to your ridiculous questions. As for Valentine's Day, yes, we should all love eachother the same way every day and show our love, but do we? No. So, what is wrong with having a day that is set aside to make us stop and think about love? So the date of the birth of Christ hasn't been proven....so maybe we shouldn't celebrate it at all since we don't know the real day he was born, is that a better idea? If you want to, go ahead and make a turkey dinner with all the fixin's every night of the week, buy your SO red roses every single day, give you kids gifts every morning. Eat hot dogs and watch fireworks every other Friday. Hunt for Easter eggs in your yard 3 Wednesdays of each month. Dress your kids up like vampires and knock on neighbors doors looking for candy every Saturday night. See how that all works out for you. I really think your question equates to "why is the sky blue?" It just is.
    Anonymous

• OMG...really? I am in no way saying don't celebrate...or saying that me and my family are going to stop celebrating them ourselves. I think my question is somewhat legitimate and is no way ridiculous and it was mainly asked for the purpose of discussion because it does make me curious...

And as far as "why is the sky blue?" well, all colors have wavelengths that are diffused by oxygen and nitrogen. since blue is the shortest wavelength it's diffused up to 10x more...yes, I watch too much TV, but there is an answer to that question...not "it just is." and like many others would say...if my questions are so ridiculous then don't read or answer them, and certainly don't answer anonymously so that I can't bash you personally...so quit being a bitch and move along

And for anyone that noticed...yes, I posted this in a couple of groups too...but again, it's more for purpose of discussion...
    dlandrum

Comment by dlandrum (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I agree with you. My DH and I say that Valentines day is a Hallmark Holiday, made up to make money for certain companies. We do not celebrate. I also agree, it should not take a national holiday for us to be selfless, giving, sharing, caring, and thankful.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You said it sister, just another day. Gives the government employees each an extra day off!!!lol. I am beside myself to on that topic.
    trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 11:09 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• For hubby's family holidays are just dinners with bad food and worse company. I remember growing up and holidays were magical. Spending time with family I really liked and having special foods we don't normally have. That is what I try to make the holidays for our girls, but it's hard when we are stuck with his family for all of them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2010