Is it bad for a 2.5 month old baby to have rice oatmeal? And what about applesauce and sweet potatoes at 3 months?

Why I am asking is b/c my in laws feel the need to decide what to fed our daughter... Even though we have said to stop. I'm curious b/c I know every peditrician is different but ours said we would talk about rice cereal at her 4 month check up...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our doctor said 4 months to start cereal.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• It's almost always best to wait until at least 4 months for cereal. There are some babies that do ok with it earlier, but the truth is that their digestive systems aren't ready for it at 2.5/3 months.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I have always started at 4 months and then maybe 6 months introduce one new food at a time. I think 2.5/3 months may be too early.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 7:13 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• 6 months. As someone who has food allergies, please don't push this!
    Brenna

Answer by Brenna at 7:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Thank you everyone! My next question.... I have said time and time again to my in-laws to stop and they don't... What would you do next?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• With my 3 I did not start them on any baby foods until I got the 'go ahead' from the pediatrician. With my 1st my mil thought it was cute and funny to give him 'tastes' of people food (like garlic cheese spread) when he was 3 mo old. I got upset with her and told her that he was MY baby and he is NOT to eat anything but what I send with him! I also told her that there are food allergies in my family and if baby would have had a reaction I would not have known what he was reacting to. I also brought out the big guns and said "our Doctor said NO FOOD- just formula!!!" and if she could not abide by my rules she would not be allowed to be near my child unsupervised again!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Do you have to use the inlaws as sitters? If not, I would tell them that the baby can not come over if they are going to go against your wishes. Or will not go over until she is on baby food. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• cereal is really nothing more than a filler, theres really nothing in it that baby needs. If she is bf then she really dosent need anything until 1 year, but can start at 6. Even then it should be after you bf, never before. 2.5 months is way to young for anything. When you do start solids (my ped is saying 6mth) then start with something that is actually good for baby, like mashed up alovcados' or something like homemade applesauce or cooked and smooshed up sweet potatoes
    PhotoBella

Answer by PhotoBella at 9:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• if you're breastfeeding, you can do that exclusively for 6 months. If you start cereal and solids too soon, they have higher risks of allergies.
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 9:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I started feeding my kids Gerber baby cereals when they were a month old and it didn't hurt them any. I gave them fruits at 2 months, vegetables at 3 months and meats at 4 months.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2010