May have to take her to the shelter

I have a kitten, i think she may be about 3mo...I got her for my oldest two children..when i picked her up the lady told me she was litter box trained but she is not and i have no idea how to get her to use the litter box and i can not have her using the bathroom all over my house..what are some ideas, i need something quick because if i can't solve the problem i can't keep her.

MrsMoss88

Asked by MrsMoss88 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pets

• Cats do not need to be toilet train, they know what to do instinctively if she is doing it all over the house, I recommend you take her to the vet and have her checked out. Sometimes cats will not go in a dirty little box.

Answer by older at 7:13 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Some cats don't like using litter boxes. I have two and one of them won't use it unless its constantly cleaned out. I have no idea why. Try to get her trained to use the toilet. I've seen those toilet trainer kits at petsmart.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• The litter box is clean...she has never used it and she is the only animal in the house
    MrsMoss88

Comment by MrsMoss88 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Try to get her trained to use the toilet. I've seen those toilet trainer kits at petsmart.

Answer by sweetpea1217

Too funny! I saw that on Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers. Honestly didn't know you could really do it.

It's not a bad idea.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Some cats do not like the green litter or the fragrant ones.  Make sure it is not a medical problem bothering the cat.  Several articles are online.  One is below.  GL!

http://www.healthypet.com/petcare/PetCareArticle.aspx?art_key=6117e32f-a5bd-4229-93b3-8c1c6fc88dec

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Did you just get this cat? There can be an adjustment period while animals settle in... just because she was using the litter box at the old home doesn't mean that she won't be freaked out for awhile once her entire environment changes!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I know a cat that is toilet trained too.

I would recommend that you lock her in the bathroom with a big bowl of water and all the drains closed up and the litterbox, no hood or cover on the box-some cats don't like that. If she has a little poop somewhere that you have cleaned up, just one, place it in the box to give her the right idea. You can also try putting her in a very large dog crate, with the litterbox, if you have one of those.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• She is young so you might need to put several litter boxes around the house. Kittens can be like kids were they get busy playing and forget they have to go and if the litterbox is across the house they can't make it. I would lock her in a bathroom with a litterbox,food and water. She should start using the box. However even at 3 months kittens can get bladder infections so you really should have her checked by a vet.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would try those potty plants , its like a big grass garden for animals to potty in..You can get them off line..
    sara_bru2000

Answer by sara_bru2000 at 3:01 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Get more then box, and place them around the house. Also, a lot of cats don't like the covered litter boxes, so take the lid off. you might also take her to the vet to check about an UTI.. cats that don't go in litter boxes after they previously have, most likely have an infection of some kind.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 1:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010