Am i suppose to apologize?

Am I supposed to apologize or what? My mother in law showed up at our home from out of town for Thanksgiving with her 60 lb pitbull--even though we made it clear we did not allow this-just too much in our small home. When i became irritated at the dog being in the way while i was preparing the meal the she started crying and said she will never visit again because she refuses to leave the dog. Now my hubby wants me to call and "work things out with her." I didn't do anything wrong here and I don't know how to handle this. Help!

KristeV

Asked by KristeV at 7:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• I wouldn't,but you do what you feel you should do

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• She disrespected you and your husband when you made it clear that the dog was not welcome. I think she owes you an apology!
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 7:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I might write a letter to smooth things over but would be afraid of the conversation getting heated if I called. But you and your husband should discuss how it will be handled in the future before you call or write. It either is allowed or not. Maybe the dog could be boarded in your area? Just an idea.........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• And, no, you should not have to apologize IMO
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Your MIL sounds a little over the top for crying because the dog was in the way. She wanted to bring it, she should of kept it in the yard on a leash or in a seprate room or something while your cooking anyways. The fact that she brought the dog knowing it wasnt allowed was rude of her. Either way, to keep peace, I would apologize if I were you and then set some boundaries for the dog for next year. Good luck!
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 7:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't. She knew you didn't want the dog there and brought it any way.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• She did this on purpose. She knew how you felt and that the dog would be in the way.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 7:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• She brought the dog in your home against your wishes? WOW I have three dogs, and would be embarrassed to do so. And whydoes your husband want you to "fake" and apology. No no no, you stand your ground! MIL is being manipulative by jerking the tears out, and bringing the dog anyway. Stick to your guns and tell hubby to deal with it. She'll get over it, trust me!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• You are being manipulated. I'd just make it ugly and bold. Tell her she knew you didn't want the dog and she disregarded your wishes for your home and brought it anyway. Explain how that made you feel angry and disrespected by her. Last, if she wants to visit, she can leave fido with a pet sitter.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:02 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Next year, go out and eat. That way you won't have to worry about the dog.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:06 AM on Nov. 29, 2010