What is your greatest virtue?

This week we are discussing moral values in my Critical Thinking class; I'd appreciate you ladies help. Identify the source of your moral values. Do you identify with the values of a particular group, such as your peers or religious organization, or even cultural values? Are you satisfied with these values when it comes to making moral decisions in your life?

TipToe19

Asked by TipToe19 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Patiences is my virtue and God is behind all of it.
    nwaskie

Answer by nwaskie at 7:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Integrity... That is the one thing that can not be taken from me.

My morals are a simple standard which I hold myself, and all others to. I do not identify with religious morals, nor do I believe that they serve any good purpose. If one fears an eternal consequence, and behaves appropriately solely because of this, once taken away they go awry.
    I believe in the inherent ability to do, and be 'good'. I believe that we all have to learn the differences between what is acceptable behavior (regardless of the societal standard), which begins the moment we are born, with our mothers nurturing us. And continues with many lessons regarding cause and effect, you do A, it causes B, the consequence is C. Your consequence was because in doing A, and causing B, you caused harm in some way. C teaches us that we are subject to the same actions which we portray.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I found a great site which lists 3 Theological Virtues, 4 Cardinal Virtues and 7 Capital Virtues.  It might help you, TipToe, in your class, or someone else if they don't know the virtues off the top of their head.  I sure don't!

I was going to put integrity, too, but that's not on the lists.  =(  If I had to chose one out of each group that were my strongest virtues, I'd have to say: Faith, Prudence and Chastity.  (That last one might sound wierd cuz I'm married, but chastity means saving for marriage what is meant for marriage, it does not mean celibecy.  In other words, we practice NFP which is one of the hardest teachings for Catholics to accept, and we don't watch/look at porn, etc.)

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Thank you ladies.

@flatlanderjenn Thank you, I have some great resources; I had to interview a few people about their greatest virtue and write a quick synopsis.
    TipToe19

Comment by TipToe19 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Mine is Compassion and for me its all because of God.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• aw, he comes my fan club again :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I acknowledge the subtle differences between value (a thing to/of honor) and virtue (a thing to strive for and/or achieve excellence in). I would, certainly, identify with one group over another because I value the virtues I perceive or see in these people. Of my own virtues I would say that I have achieved the greatest level of excellence in hopefulness, and recognize my belief in, experience with and relationship to Christ as the source of this virtue. Using my Bible for a road-map has always left me feeling satisfied with the decisions I make - transversely, I have found that when I fail to consult the moral teachings I believe in, *those are the times I have felt that I came up lacking morally and virtuously.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:49 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I believe the virtues we have are rooted in our humanity, and are encouraged through religion and general social interactions. Things like compassion, integrity, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Compassion. Life experience.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 12:59 PM on Dec. 1, 2010