Advice on how to introduce a pet when the baby comes....?

Was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to effectively introduce my 6 year old, VERY attatched to me cat when I bring home the baby? The cat is extremely sensitive and stuck to me the whole time I am home because it has pretty much always just been me and him. So if anyone has any advice on how to help him adjust so he dosnt resent the baby and know I still love him, it would be great! I try playing things where a baby is crying so he gets used to sound but so far it freaks him out and he runs & hides under something. I dont want him thinking I brought something home to punish him!

dez1379

Asked by dez1379 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Have DH bring home a few blankets that smell like the baby before you come with the baby so he gets used to the scent on the baby
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 7:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I don't know much about cats, but with my dog I allowed her to sniff around the babies room before I delivered and then I had my (now ex) husband bring home one of the blankets that my son was swaddled in. When we got home with the baby, the dog was already used to the smells and was okay with him. The dog became a big help s she figured out which big buttons to push (with her nose) on y sons toys. When he would cry she would push a button and music would come on. Pets can really love the new addition :)
    Amellor1

Answer by Amellor1 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Bring home some things with his newborn scent on them. Second, start carrying around a little doll that moves and makes baby sounds. Carry it around like you would a newborn when the cat is around.. If you can get your cat to come over with the doll on your lap on off position, feed him a dollop of tuna off of a plastic spoon right over the doll. Do it over and over until you can eventually turn the doll on...movement without sound is best if possible before adding sound to that picture.

Also go sit in the baby's room and feed him some more tuna. This is to make a positive association for your cat, if it is possible. Play the baby mobile and swing too. And when baby comes home, feed the cat a little tuna off a plastic spoon right away when he comes to investigate.

Last, teach him how to jump over or crawl under a baby gate..again a little tuna. This will be helpful when baby starts crawling and make the cat less stressed.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:03 PM on Nov. 28, 2010