Rebellious toddler!!!

So, I know, terrible 2's. I get it, but i still dont know what to do!
My son has become spoiled (he was not in my care for the past 7 months), and doest listen to me. He throws tantrums when he doesnt get his way. On the contrary he can be VERY good, and most of the time he is. But when it rains it pours!! Example: We go food shopping in the morning, he wants candy, I say no. He yells, screams, pushes, quite an embarrassng scene. Its been suggested that I stop my trip and just go home, but if i did that id never be able to shop bc it happens all the time, and for the meantime im raising my son alone. How can I get him to cooperate without losing my cool?? Help....

soldiermom1986

Asked by soldiermom1986 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm a single mother my self and my son throws tantrums also, but everybody disciplines differently. He is only two so yes he's going to yell and scream when he doesn't get his way. The walking out of the store idea actually will work if it's consistent. He will stop eventually if he knows that he wont get what he wants but if you do it one day and not the next then he wont understand that if he yells he wont get his way. CONSISTENCY when disciplining is key.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Since you haven't had your son in 7 months, he might just be trying to figure out how you work and what your boundaries are. If it's only been a week or so, give him more time to adjust. My 7 year old daughter who has visitation with her dad every other weekend still has some issues when she comes back to our house. She usually need a few days to readjust.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• that age is truly a hard stage hes two so of coure hes going to yell and scream when not getting his way but if ou are consistent with him then he will start to understand that screaming will not get him what he wants it takes time and patients on your half but it gets easier i promise mother of two with one more on the way and there all boys lol. Just set guid lines for when you are going into the store tell him we are going shopping for food not candy if you ask mommy for candy there answer will be no and if you start to throw a fit we are leaving and you will have a time out at home. Its up to you to follow through with it though everytime he throws a fit after a couple times he will understand. when he is good in the store praise him and tell him your proud of him and what a big boy he is.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• sounds like he is testing your boundaries..

first off.. with the candy thing.. make sure you tell him ahead of time that you are going for this that and this and that he will not be getting any candy. Let him know that you will not change your mind of this. And if he does act well reward reward reward. Also try letting him do something special at the store.. like my son (who is also 2) behaves great if I let him push the cart..if you find something to balance out and let him have something special.. like letting him pick out crackers or a snack. It might distract from the candy isle. The most important thing is to be consistent and do not reward the negative behavior even negatively and loose your cool..even getting angry can justify the behavior in their heads.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My 2 yo knows that if she behaves at the grocery store and doesn't whine she will be rewarded with a balloon at the end of our trip. She loves this and is usually good for about 30 mins in the store. I have to make my trips with her quick b/c her patience doesn't last long. My LO never has asked for candy but that is b/c she has never really had any so she doesn't know that she is missing anything. Whatever you do when you take him to the store just make sure that it is consistent.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I know some moms that gets a box of cereal not the junk one some think like corn chex
    and have them hold it till there done. If her child throws a fit and won't listen she gives 3 warnings then
    if it continues they loose the treat. once in a while she will open the box and let the child snack as she shops
    that works well. She has even taken the child to the rest room punished the child then
    then went back to shopping. Now just saying do I have to take you to the rest room gets the child to listen most of the time.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My son has turned 2 recently as well..Fun right? I can honestly say this, it boils down to ignoring the crap out of him and simply smiling at on lookers. I am not a single mom but my fiance goes out of town for months at a time for work so I feel like I am sometimes. Your son is not use to you being the momma that says no because he probably got a ton of yes's due to you being gone. So you gotta do the bitter sweet thing. Get on to him, then after hes calmed down, hug him and say "I love you lots!". Hope you get some good advice. :)
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 10:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010