Do you recommend seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist for PPD?

I dont really know what the difference is between the two. Im going to google their descriptions, cause im a nerd lol. But I was just wondering which one you guys think is better to see. Thank you!!!

Amanduhpanda

Asked by Amanduhpanda at 2:16 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Health

• I personally would recommend a psychiatrist since PPD is not just a straight forward psychological problem. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor, and PPD is a medical issue in addition to a psychological issue. That said, if you are strongly opposed to medication, you may be more comfortable with a psychologist. But every psychologist and psychiatrist is different. Although I am currently very opposed to personally taking medication, I see a psychiatrist because I found one that I really click with, and because I have underlying medical issues that contribute to my psychological problems, and so I like having the medical point of view.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I had PPD really bad with my first baby (2 now) I would sit an cry and the only thing I wanted was to hold her and be with her. I finally went to my doctor and it took like 3 different meds but I finally got on Symbalta and it was awsome. I would say try going to your normal doctor 1st to find out how bad it is. Most likely they can prescribe u something that will work. :) Any other questions you can go to my profile.
    QTMamma01

Answer by QTMamma01 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• psychiatrist can prescribe meds. I went to one with all 3 of my kids. PPD got worse with each one. my DR recommended a psychiatrist so that they can be in charge of my therapy AND meds. to make sure im on the right ones for me.
    LoveMyMan80

Answer by LoveMyMan80 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I had a psychiatrist. Really look into them, some truly don't give a chit. Mine saw me enough to give me my meds. My therapist was awesome. You will need to see them also.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Psychiatrists can prescribe medication and psychologist can not. That is the main difference. Just remember who ever you choose that they all use different techniques and theories on assisting you. I would go to your doctor and they will normally recommend someone for you.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2008