how old were your kids when you let them

use scissors? the safety ones

stressedmomma13

Asked by stressedmomma13 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• 2 or 3
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I know we start letting 2 year olds try with scissors at our daycare. I think my son was about 3 1/2 when I let him at home, even if he was doing it earlier at school. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• My daughter is 3, and I allow her to use scissors, and even knives (not sharp ones) at the table as long as I or my husband is supervising her. All part of fine-tuning those fine motor skills.

My neice and nephew on the other hand are 7 and 5 respectively and neither have any clue how to operate either scissors or a knife. Personal decision for every parent.
    meganbearden

Answer by meganbearden at 8:08 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• my oldest dd is 5.5 she started when she started school in september. My youngest is almost 3 no way in heck lol. She got a hole of them one day and I didn't know it and cut some of her hair lol. Then she did again when I was helping my 5.5 year old with homework not even sure where she got these ones. But then now as of a week ago I wont let my dd use sissors at home at all now because she wanted to cut a piece of paper at the table I said that was fine went to go to the bathroom and she was cutting her little sisters hair and then a little of her own hair so nomore sissors for a while.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• After my two year old got ahold of the scissors and cut her hair off the top of her head; started in the middle of her forehead and worked her way back as far as she could reach-she was in kindergarten before I trusted her again. Her 5 year old brother sat there and watched her do it!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I've never heard of "safety ones" but with supervision my kids use scissors. They are 3 & 4. However it's few and far between mostly because there is no reason for them to use them, we aren't really the crafty kind...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:47 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• 5 yrs. She loves just to cut paper in no special way, just to be cutting on the paper to see how it comes out I guess.
    trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 9:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• about 4
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 9:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• 2 years old.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• about 3 SUPERVISED of course
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:09 AM on Nov. 29, 2010