Looking for advice regarding family law/custody...

hi ladies my husband has joint custody of his daughter...since he got joint custody about 8 years ago things have not gotten any easier, it's gotten so bad with his ex that he is contemplating going for sole custody and just had a few questions, wondering if any of you have knowledge in this area and may be able to help. also if there are any sites that can provide state specif information on family law issues? Thanks ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i just google your state family law. or maybe try domestic relation site for your state. sometimes they have links. so why is he trying for sole custody? just curious
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• There is a group on cafe mom that deals specifically with custody issues. Check it out.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• There's always been conflict with the mother we are the rule Enforcers and she's the hero my husband and her have never been on the same page. My step daughter needs stability in her life. For 13 years I've always been the mediator for them two but I am also very tired of doing that and there's been so much conflict that for the first time in 13 years I am not on speaking terms with her. Just need to try to find out some information for my husband=
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I'm gonna tell you, unless the mom wants to give her up, you are gonna have a LONG and EXPENSIVE fight ahead of you, one I should also tell you, you will prob lose. Unless the child wants to be away from the parent or the parent is being abusive then the court will usually not take the child.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think it's a risk we are willing to take at this point I could understand how someone that hasn't lived in our shoes could have your opinion. My husbAnd battled for over a year to get joint custody and I truly do not believe that the courts will be ok with a child going through emotional issues from the conflicts between her sepArated parents. It's not good for my step dAughter , it can't be good for any child. I know there's no guarantee but we can at least try. Tootoobusy thanks for the info. I will check it out
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• If she is 13 the judge will probably talk to her, could be in private or he could do it with the parents or get a child advocate to talk to her. Good luck, get all your facts, material etc.together before you go to a lawyer.
    Faye1234

Answer by Faye1234 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you said she was 8, I get it now. Well at 13, the judge will let her live where she wants unless she is being abused or not going to school
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Does the child WANT to live with you? I know in TX, once a child is 12 they can "voice" their opinion on which parent they want to live with and why. And unless there's a reason the courts see your home, or you and DH as unfit, then the courts usually go with the child's request. Not always, but most of the time. (And note, that I didn't say the child gets to "Choose")... GL!
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 11:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Your county courthouse may have a FREE lawyer of the day
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:40 AM on Nov. 30, 2010