Would YOU help a single Dad in need?

So I see all these posts offering to help single moms for christmas. Well, I happen to know a very unfortunate single DAD.

I do understand this is a MOM website, but please if you're interested... please continue reading.

He's working multiple jobs, but can't afford an attorney to take his ex to court to fight for custody and get a FAIR amount of child support started. She's demanding over 400 a month and half daycare costs covered. By his state requirements (taking into consideration his income), he should only be paying her 180 a month. So needless to say, he's broke. He can't afford 1,500 to hire an attorney, and really needs help this holiday season.

And yes, he has contacted Legal Aid. But unfortunately there's a 5 month wait for their help. And yes, he's contacted Toys for Tots. No one has gotten back with him yet.

It makes me nervous. I don't want to imagine his son cold in the winter, or lacking appropriate winter clothing. I don't want anything to not be under the tree. But when you only make about 18k a year, what more can you expect?

And yes, he only has about half of the time. But he doesn't allow anything from his house to go back to hers, and vice versa.

I have sent him money when he needs it, but I really can't afford to do much more right now. My DH's re-enlistment bonus got screwed up, so we thought we we're going to be getting 14k in October, but FINALLY got about 2k as they forwarded the rest (accidentally) to his retirement fund. So there goes a majority of our help to him. Blah. (Yes, we're trying to sort out the kinks but as of right now we'll be getting it every October until someone who knows what they're doing can REALLY help us get it fixed)

Anyway, so... help would be tremendously appreciated. This guy friend (he's been my best friend since I was 16) is really trying. Used toys, clothing, etc... Anything age appropriate would be fantastic.

He's 3.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Holidays

• You should take this to Wish Upon A Hero - http://www.wishuponahero.com

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Link was wrong, sorry, here: http://www.wishuponahero.com

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• How would someone go about helping him? Also, we have a non-profit service called Sno-Cap that will provide food, clothing and new christmas presents, maybe there's an agency similar to this where you live. You can also contact the fire dept. they do toy drives as well. I'm a big volunteer at Christmas time and organize toy drives for different groups.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Id be happy to donate some of my 4 year old ds' things. we are military as well and pcs'ing so as we unpack this next few weeks i can make a pile for him, PM me if you'd like :)
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 9:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I am all for helping out people in need in my area but sorry when it comes to the internet I just don't trust it or feel comfortable doing it. I'd try posting this on maybe your local craigs list or something.. To answer your question.. heck yes I WOULD help. A single dad deserves just as much credit as the single moms out there.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• i would have to agree with Ctink8189 on the fact I don't trust alot of people either! They can go to Salvation Ary and I know he can get some help with the holiday up as far as the legal maybe they can point himin the right direction. I would help as much as I could so Kudos to you mom!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Have him go to St. Vincent de Paul stores or Goodwill. There are lots of churches that are able and willing to help out this time of year. Also, if you could give an address, I'm sure that lots of people would be willing to send things for his kid. You're a wonderful friend thinking about him this time of year.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• If I were in his shoes, I would contact all the local resourses and school before asking or receiving hand outs. That is including hand outs from family because you know that will probably come back and bite cha in the ass or ruin a friendship one way or another.
    trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 11:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I am helping out a single dad this year for the holidays, it's great that you want to help the one you know too. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:41 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It shouldnt matter male or female whether they get help.
    I have helped a single father in the past who did have custody of his daughters and the mom was a deadbeat who never paid support.
    He needs to try and find a better job or they need to go to the local Attorney General and have CS established and not just her demands, her demands dont matter. He can go to the AG and they can handle CS issues and it wont cost him anything.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 3, 2010