My 7 week old won't stop crying.

It seems like she cries non stop unless I'm holding her or feeding her. I'm breast feeding asn she uses me for comfort...she wont take a pacifier..What should I do??? I feel horrible letting her just cry it out. I don't want her to become dependant on me. HELP!!

LSween

Asked by LSween at 2:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try using your knuckle or finger as a pacifier. that helped my daughter when I was nursing. its worth a shot. right now shes still so little. dont worry about her becoming too dependent, chances are youll be able to break it in a few weeks
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• You can't spoil a baby that young, so don't worry about that yet. My son did this, too. He had reflux and was put on Zantac at 4 months, but at that point the crying had almost stopped anyways. They told me he had colic. Some things that really helped were taking car rides/stroller rides, the swing, and running the vacuum cleaner while he sat in his bouncer. I am an advocate of crying it out eventually, but it is not meant for babies this young. Crying it out only works when they understand cause and effect. Your baby should be dependent on you right now; she is a baby. Don't get me wrong... sometimes you need to just put the baby down in her crib and step into the other room for a minute to get away, and to keep from going insane. However, at this stage of the game, do everything you can to keep them from crying. Good luck!
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 2:25 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• the good news is you can't spoil a newborn.. so relax, she'll learn how to do it without you. Have you thought about a sling or other carrier? It worked wonders with my baby, she's almost 4 months and still loves it. It will give her the comfort of being with you while freeing your hands to get something else done LOL.. I would suggest if you want to keep trying the pacifier to dip it in sugar-water and then give it to her.. she still has the sucking reflex so she should take it, just might not be able to keep it in her mouth. The sling is pretty easy for holding a pacifier in her mouth if she can't do it herself. Good Luck and Hang in there!!!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My baby has the same problem. First of all try to feel blessed that your child loves you so much and is so attatched to you. It will help you later in her life if you keep that connection. Second of all have you considered that your baby may have colic? Many times babies with colic will cling to the thing that is most comforting to them becuase they are in so much pain or discomfort. Look up colic online or ask your doctor and see if the symptoms fit. You are right by the way, I cant let my daughter "cry it out" either. Its so heartbreaking! Good Luck
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• oh and I def. agree with supershlea.. sometimes its ok for her to cry.. she wont be hurt by it.. letting her cry on her own for a while (10min or until she gets hysterical) will get her used to having some alone time :) Acid reflux could be a problem, especially if its worse after she eats. White noise is great too.. but sometimes they just want mommy.. which is when I resorted to the sling. Best decision I ever made!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Try getting the book "The Happiest Baby On The Block" I think it's by Harvey Karp. It works great!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 2:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• It's a good chance the baby has colic (gas trapped i the stomach)
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• She may be a "colicky" baby. What is colic? It's a fancy way of saying "your baby cries a lot more than most and we don't know why." The official definition is a baby that cries for 3 hours or more during the day, for more than 3 days a week, for more than 3 weeks. Lovely, huh?

What causes it? No one knows. For some babies, it seems to be gas. For some, they seem to get overstimulated quickly and have a hard time calming back down. For some - no one can see any pattern.

If you get overwhelmed and need a break, put her in her crib and leave her. Do NOT feel badly about doing this. It is far, far better to let her cry than it is to get so upset and frustrated that you harm her. Yes, that is far more common with colicky babies. And be sure to keep close tabs on your own health. Many, many women with colicky babies develop PPD.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• What to do? Write out a list of things to try - bouncing, walking, swinging, white noise - and start at the top of your list and work down until something works. Some moms have good luck with putting the baby in his carseat and putting that on top of the dryer. The rumble of the dryer can sooth them. Some moms have good luck with baby swings. Some with white noise CDs (I used "For Crying Out Loud"). What works today may not work tomorrow. Take a look at www.ColicShop.com for other ideas.

The good news: It's ususally gone or nearly gone by 16 weeks. Put a big red circle around that date on your calendar. It helps to see it coming closer day by day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Thank you all for your ideas. Infact I tried out the dryer idea last night and it worked...for all of about 10 minutes :) When I said I didn't want her dependant on me I meant as fast as comfort from breastfeeding goes. I know it's hard enought to wean a baby as it is and I don't want to have her totally depending on my breast for comfort. As far as the whole pacifier thing goes..I'll try the sugar water for sure..only problem is she gags herself on the pacifier once I get it in her mouth...she's super picky :) fun fun..and I do believe she has colic or some sort of acid reflux. I'll definately have to look into the whole acid reflux thing.. her ped already told me she has colic. Oh the joys of motherhood :) haha. Thanks again
    LSween

Answer by LSween at 11:51 AM on Nov. 6, 2008