Persecuted?

Why do many believers claim to be persecuted because of their faith? What are the examples of that?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 8:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you look up persecute in the dictionary, it's actually a very broad horizon of actions. So it's actually not that hard to say that you have been persecuted for a lot of things.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• True persecution biblically is nothing like what we experience today. In matter of fact most believers have not experienced real persecution at all .
    I think they mis use the word persecuted more often than not.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I had the windows broken on my car once, along with my other friend who had pagan stickers on the back. The police actually classified it as a "hate crime".. but I still do not feel persecuted....And I know that my family would be ousted and treated badly in my small town if they knew I was a pagan and I live my spiritual life in secret.. but I still do not feel persecuted..I think it would take killing to make me feel that way.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think that Christians in America use that word too lightly. Recently Christians in the Middle East were killed when their church was bombed. People are killed all the time for converting to Christianity. Here we just get ridiculed. After hearing what some people have to face for their faith, I will not say that I am being persecuted.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I have known a few (make that very few) people who have been teased or bullied over their faith - however none were Christians. But my personal opinion is this, bullying... teasing... these are NOT persecution. Being beaten, raped, abused, starved, burned, tortured... This is persecution. Being called names, pointed at, laughed at, or talked about is NOT persecution, it's not something even worth batting an eye over - WALK AWAY! However, generally, this is exactly what people are talking about when they start to cry about how bad it is for "believers" in this country. I have a friend who's house was burned because her neighbors wanted her out of the neighborhood because of her beliefs, and she & her children were in the house when the fire was set - THAT is persecution... But guess what, it was the "believers" who did it, not the other way around...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Persecuted, ridiculed and mocked - quick examples are right at the fingertips right here on CM. One doesn't have to venture far from the q&a section to find it either. All war and conflict is born of one side either being or believing they are being persecuted. I've, personally, seen some pretty heated debates here about religion and Christianity and there were definitely people being persecuted for their belief in Christ and the Bible. In my own life - before I was strong enough in my faith - I felt isolation and/or a fear of exclusion when I spoke up or stood up for my beliefs. I've certainly, in my life, felt the sting of being made fun of and ridiculed (a form of persecution) * Now *, you can say to me what you will - and I won't waiver. I know who I am in Christ and have come to a place in my relationship with God that persecution, to me, means that I'm on the right path, regardless of the form it takes.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:21 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• As a Christian I feel like I am "judged" by nonbelievers and I am constantly being questioned and testedby them. (Mainly on CM.) What they don't realize is that they are making my faith stronger and there is a poem in Psalms about them and there wicked tongue....

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I definitely think the word is thrown out there too often. Being teased isn't being persecuted. People not agreeing with you or not allowing you to force your beliefs on others is not persecution. As someone already said, until people are losing their jobs or their homes or their lives for their religion, they're not being persecuted. And to try to say that they are, when there actually ARE people in this world dying because of their faith, is just awful, IMO.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• People are killed all the time for converting to Christianity. Here we just get ridiculed. After hearing what some people have to face for their faith, I will not say that I am being persecuted.

I feel the same. I guess some are not up to par on world news.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Being fired for your beliefs, or outwardly harassed at work for your beliefs. Having your children threatened, your home or property vandalized. In other words, things that are grounds for a restraining order or criminal charges if you can prove who is behind it. Being disagreed with or in the presence of others exercising their 1st amendment rights to express their own views, not so much.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010