How do you handle a child speaking in this manner?

Even after dozens of times explaining to my son how rude, ungrateful and disrespectful it is to say how "disgusting" my cooking is, he continues with it at almost every meal. I have explained it in a calm manner, I have yelled and even withheld dessert. I have no idea what to do. Any ideas?

SaturnsMom

Asked by SaturnsMom at 8:57 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• tell him if he doesnt like it he doesnt have to eat it and he can go to bed w/o anything
    jtaylor87

Answer by jtaylor87 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• How old is the child?
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would agree with him and change the subject. He is just wanting attention. Good luck
    trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 8:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• tell him there are thousands of starved children out there who would love to eat that food, and he should be thankful to have it in front of him even if he doesn't like it. tell him it's okay not to like something but it's very rude to say "disgusting" and if he doesn't like something he should say thank you anyway.
    Anonymous

• I'd give him peanut butter and jelly until he begged for some of my disgusting food.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• why not let the child help with the cooking/food prep. maybe he won't think it's so gross then!
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• you have to understand that he has learned a new word and what it means and is going to use it every chance that he gets. its normal. Just tell him that if he doesnt like what you cook that he can just be hungry and then change the subject. Dont dwell on what he said. It could be just an attention thing.
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 9:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• yeah if he dont like it dont eat, and make him loose tv, games and toys...
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• As soon as he says that it's disgusting, I'd take the plate away from him and make him sit through the meal until everyone else was done. If he doesn't ask for it back, I'd make him go hungry. He'll learn quick that way. And don't give in to any snacks between meals. Keep it up.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I agree that he just wants attention and you are just giving it to him. Next time he says your food is disgusting, I'd just say, "oh, I'm sorry to hear that, then I guess you won't be eating tonight" and take his plate away and go on as if NOTHING happened.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2010