what age is good for a baby sitter?

my mother in law watches the babies on saturday night from 8-12.... thats fine but I really would like to get in an extra night out with my husband... whats a good age to hire a baby sitter?

FITmama2B

Asked by FITmama2B at 9:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 22 somewhere in that range
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:02 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I'm not sure age is the factor at all. I once hired a sitter who was in her 30s and was horrinble. I've had younger sitters in their late teens, early 20s that were very good.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Depends on the age of the child and how mature kids are in your area...for kids 5 and under I'd say at least 16 or 17, older ones can have younger sitters, maybe around 13, (as long as they are mature) because they'll be able to play together better. Its really up to your judgement as a parent and a member of that community but those ages would be my starting criteria.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• When I was 11 I started babysitting for some family friends. I babysat children ranging from 11mos to 10 years. (yes, it was very difficult to babysit a kid who was only a year younger than I...) Within three years, I'd been referred to other people needing sitters several times, so apparently the people I sat for thought I was good enough. I really think it depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I think the youngest I'd ask someone to babysit would be 13, and very responsible. Age of the child shouldn't matter, but I'd make sure you have all your emergency contact info put together, and a write up of dos and don'ts. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• yes, twinkletoes is right..the maturity level is more important. cant remember where, but I saw once some sort of checklist you can put on refrigerators for the sitter including contact numbers, need to know info, etc.
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 9:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• It depends on the sitter, but for infants definitely someone that has experience and can drive in case of an emergency. 18+ would be my minimum, unless it was my sister who is 15 but she knows what to do for infants. I wouldn't leave a newborn with her but she would be fine with my 10 month old for a couple hours.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010