How do you get a 8 month old to take a nap?

He takes a few naps during the day bu wont sleep in his bed and never sleeps more than 30minutes at a time. At night I put him in his own bed but he always cries until i give in and put him in the bed with me and my husband. what should I do?

brayashnatjar

Asked by brayashnatjar at 9:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i let her cosleep starting around that age and didn;t get my dd out until she was about 15months and then i had enough and i let her cio. but what i did was i made sure she was asleep and transfered her to her bed. but her crib is in my room so i am not sure if this works out for you. i would start putting him down in his crib for naps. he will get use to it. or if you have a rocker rock him to sleep and then transfer him over to his crib. the bed is a hard thing to undo. even now she points to the bed when i put her down. but i have a sesame street pillow and that gets her all the time. she is 20months that is why she sleeps with her own pillow. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Be consistent. He knows now that he doesn't have to sleep in his crib, he just has to cry long enough for you to get tired and come get him - so letting him cry isn't doing any good. I'm not saying you should cio, you need to do what you are comfortable with, but what you are doing isn't working. I would recommend you either start some type of cio program and be prepared to stick with it, or let him cosleep.

Answer by missanc at 9:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would try cio for nap time and see how it goes. My friends think I'm horrible because I use this method. My daughter is 13 months; she takes a 3 hour nap around 1:00pm, goes to bed around 8:00pm, and sleeps until 9:00am. Now this is most of the time, we still have nights when she wakes up and it takes some rocking to get her back to sleep, but for the most part we put her down for naps and bedtime and let her cry until she falls asleep. (usually she only cries 5 to 15 mins if she cries at all) It is not for everyone though. At first I never let her cry for longer then 20 mins and I would go check on her but not pick her up. . After 2 weeks she started falling asleep before the 20 mins was up. Now I check on her by peeking in her room if it goes longer then 20, but I dont go get her unless she cries for an hour. I know it sounds harsh, but really she doesn't cry hardly at all going to bed now, hope it helps! GL!
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 12:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Also I started this when she was 8 months old!
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 12:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2010