House work...how do you delegate the work around the house

I hate being the primary person. What's fair for a 13 yr old, 8 yr old and not forget hubby? What do you do?

JCRestoredme

Asked by JCRestoredme at 2:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• A young teen can cut the lawn, do yardwork, shovel snow, maintain their room, do laundry, cook, dust, vaccum, mop, clean the bathrooms, anything you can do; same goes for hubby. My 8 year old helps with cooking (mostly prep work), setting/clearing the table, loading/unloading the dishwasher, cleaning his room, picking up around the house, and sorting the laundry among other things.

What's fair is dividing up the chores with everyone on board and having everyone stick to it.
    Anonymous

• I agree...thank you so much. ;)

The problem is I have to make everyone remember their chores so after a little while Im back to being the primary person, work not caught up and fustrated AGAIN :(
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 2:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Write it all down and post the chores on the frig. Then you just go behind them in the evening to see if they did the chore.

Answer by louise2 at 2:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• You have to also establish punishments for NOT getting the work done. Especially with the children. My mom wouldn't do anything, she would tell us to do it, if we didn't we got in trouble. So 9 times out of 10, we knew to do our household responsibilities. OR its up to you...you can do the opposite and give rewards for REMEMBERING WITHOUT BEING TOLD to do chores. My parents did that also. But as soon as she had to remind us, it went out the window.
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 3:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• OH...lol...and writing it all down. Haveing a board set up somewhere visible in the house, so they can't say they dont know what to do, or who does what...oh and punishment goes for hubby too! lol...my husband finally caught on...all he does is the bathroom, and take out the garbage....it was a fight for him to remember, but when he got "punishment" or a "reward" he finally can do it without asking! Lol...
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 3:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2008