Is cosleeping bad?

My son is 6 months old and wakes up three times a night. I've tried everything, letting him cry it out, picking him up and rocking him back to sleep..etc.He wakes up even more now that he's teething. I've been letting him sleep in my bed with me (Its a huge bed and its just him and I, I've made it safe) He sleeps more sound now and to be honest I don't mind it at all. Am I starting a bad habit? Whats the cons?

LogansMamma0511

Asked by LogansMamma0511 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• There aren't any.

You'll catch flack on here for it though, best google for some resources.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• The cons are, when it's not just you and him. But honestly, parents and children have co-slept since the beginning of time. It's normal, and natural for your child to want to be near you. My son woke up tons of times throughout the night for the first two years. After two, I decided I couldn't handle getting up so much, so I'd let him come to bed with me. I always put him down in his own bed first. Now, at three, he goes to sleep in his room, and stays there through the night. I think it's really just what you feel comfortable with. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:19 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Some people will tell you it's bad... my take on it is do what works for you. I co-slept with all three of my kids... I slept better and they slept better. It's really up to you. Just make sure to do it safely (I think www.askdrsears.com has some info on safe co-sleeping.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:21 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Sorry but I AM FIRM BELIEVER IN DO WHAT IT TAKES FOR FAMILY SANITY
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• It's a personal choice. I chose not to because I don't even sleep well with my husband in the bed. I chose sanity and sleep over sharing my bed. But that is my choice. I don't care if people sleep with their kids. But on here I have seen both bash each other. Just make sure you are willing to do this for awhile if you want to keep doing it. My friend co slept with all her kids, and sort of regrets it. She didn't have her own space for 12 years. Buit I know others who dont' feel that way, so I say however you choose sleep your child, please do so safely.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• We have always co-slept and we've never once found a down side. God forbid some parents have to be close to their kids... Cosleeping carries more benefits than sleeping apart ever will!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would never cosleep with my kids - my bed is for my husband and myself. It's the place that we share intimacy, and it's not just about sex - we could go somewhere else in the house for that - it's about just laying in his arms, whispering secrets, etc. The best gift I can give my kids is to love their dad and to care for that relationship.

Answer by missanc at 9:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I have done it since my son was born, he's 4 now. Do what works for you.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• We co-slept with our daughter from birth. It was convenient while breastfeeding, and then became difficult to get her to sleep in her crib. The cons are more prominent when you are sleeping with 3 to the bed, since it's harder to have alone time. That's the only real con, IMO. Otherwise it's delightful to have your little one snuggled up to you, where you can see and hear them breathing, and don't have to walk to a different room to take care of problems. We got our daughter a toddler bed at about 20 months, and she has transitioned to it quite well. Sometimes she will still wake up and run to our room, but mostly she sleeps just fine. It hasn't produced any dependency problems, on the contrary, while she loves to cuddle, she's also very independent.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 9:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• it's not necessarily bad but just consider the fact that once they get used to sleeping with you, it's 10x harder to get them to sleep in their own bed whenever you decide you don't want them in the bed. my daughter coslept until like 8 or 9 months and it was HELL to get her trained to sleep in her own room/in her own bed
    cheribabii613

Answer by cheribabii613 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2010