How do I increase my milk production?

How can I increase my milk production? I have been forced to breastfeed and formula feed my son because I don't have a strong milk production. I only wanted to breastfeed, but I don't have a choice at this point. Any tips would be a great help.

joni574

Asked by joni574 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nurse more. Always try to nurse before you give the bottle. Also, brewers yeast can be helpful. You can buy it in GNC usually, or you can find it in dark beer. If you do it in the beer, just make sure you drink the beer right after nursing, so that it is out of your system in time for the next feeding. (Generally wait 1-1.5 hours after finishing beer to nurse again.)
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 2:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• oatmeal! oatmeal works wonders!! also, lots and lots of water! also, i know most people will bash me, but boo on them! my nurses recommended that immediately after i feed my daughter to have half a beer, or a full beer. theres something in beer that helps to increase the production of it, plus by the time you feed him again it will be out of your system, so he gets none of it. also, pump. even if your just hand expressing it, if theres more demand then your body will create more and more of it
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Can you please explain what happened that led you or your doctor to the conclusion that your milk production was insufficient? I am not asking to be a snot. :-) I am asking because most doctors are not well educated about breastfeeding and many doctors will tell you you have to supplement and that your production is too low, when in fact there are lots of things you can try before you start introducing formula.

To answer your question though... lol... have you tried mother's milk tea? or fenugreek capsule? You can also try power-pumping once or twice a day. But the best thing is to nurse on demand, since milk production is a supply and demand kind of thing. How old is your baby?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• How old is the baby? I do not think it is possible to be too late. My babies are 4 months old and are finally EBF. They were formula fed in the hospital, and I just pumped every two hours to build up my supply-- trying them at the breast at least once a day and now they on the breast completely. You can do it, it does take time and a lot of pumping, too.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• pump or nurse more often, plus make sure you get plenty of fluids and dont eat a lot of spicy food, eat nutritiously like you did when you were pregnant
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• your milk production depends on supply and demand. if the demand is there then your body will meet the demand with a larger milk supply.
    nurse more!
    you can also take fenugreek or drink mother's milk tea in order to boost your supply.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2008