How do I get my 13 month old to stop crying before bedtime?

She has two teeth coming in and I make sure she has her Tylenol, Ora gel and she gets a half hour of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse before I shut it off and its time for bed. She cries consistently for 20 minutes or more THEN goes to sleep very upset....any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was told not to give my child Tylenol for teething, because really you're only supposed to take meds for 7 days unless directed by a doc and then not supposed to give orajel either because it puts a coating on the gums which hardens them and makes it harder for the teeth to come out- creating more pain for baby. I would say stop giving the meds at night and read a book, sing a lullaby, rub her back and lights out. She might cry but that's normal for many kids.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Sit beside her crib/bed and sing to her or read to her or just talk to her. There's not much more you can do at this stage. It's hard to reason with a one year old. At two, my daughter will cry sometimes and the only way I can get her to stop is to tell her that if she can't hush, I will close the door because Mommy and Daddy are trying to sleep. Might seem mean, but it's all that works.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 9:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would say that that this is her way of soothing herself to sleep. I would leave her be and let her figure it out on her own. My LO did this for several months and she now knows that when it is bedtime we close the door and she gets comfy with all of her stuffies and goes to sleep. (All of her stuffies are the ones that she puts in her bed after I take them out, I just gave up the fight)
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:47 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• if she is teething i agree with mommaofH2. its hard to reason with 1yr olds. i cio at 15months and it was hard. harder on me then her. but even now she has her nights she wants to lay with me. i lay with her snuggle and sing some songs and then she is out. and then i take her to her crib. its worked. good luck. she will be ok. have you tried a warm bath before bed?
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would also suggest replacing the tv with stories, cuddle time or singing, etc- a quiet, soothing activity. The tv can be stimulating so it wakes up more than it calms down. Can you give baby something to gnaw on for her teeth? The pediatrician told me that the only thing that really relieves teething pain is counterpressure on the gums- in other words, something to bite down on.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010