What's your opinion on college?

I am currently a student, studying Law and excited to someday become a lawyer. My husband graduated from college with his BA in August and still hasn't found a career in his field. With the unemployment rates and economy crashing, do you think college is even worth it now? 2 million people have BA's and are unemployed at this time. It's somewhat scary to me that I'm spending this much money for college and may not even find a great career when I'm finished. I watch my DH struggle everyday...

Let me know how you feel. Thanks.

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• do it.... keep going for it cause in the long run that will always be under your belt and you don't want it to be something your going to regret in the end... you'll be very proud of yourself too... the economy will go back up in time.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 10:19 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• if a person learns a trade, they will never be unemployed or broke
    _________________
    Not true, my former BIL is a master mason and he has been unemployed for awhile and apparently, broke.

Now, I think you should either go to trade school or college
    Yes the ecomony sucks right now, but having some sort of training, whether it be college or trade school is what will give you the edge over others when interviewing. On the job training isn't what it used to be.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think education in general is very important, but when you go the college route these days plan on waiting a little bit longer on making good money. Where as a trade the cost of the education is on the lower side and you will make your money back faster
    JLWmassage

Answer by JLWmassage at 10:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I think college has it's place. However, if a person learns a trade, they will never be unemployed or broke. Just my opinion.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I agree with twinkletoes. I also know that today a college degree may not automatically get you a job, but tomorrow could be totally different.  If it were me, I would go ahead with my education, but not sit unemployed waiting for a job in my educated area.  A person has to work where they can now days.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• At the moment...it's seeming like learning a trade is much easier. My SIL just finished the correctional officer program and walked out with a job at the county jail. I, however, have had my Bachelor's in Business Management for 2yrs and am still in the job I had all throughout college. I am finishing my HR certificate in 2wks, so hopefully my luck will turn around soon!

I do think it's very valuable to have your degree...I think once you get the job, it allows for more movement. Or at least that's what my FIL is trying to tell me...

My DH is tired of seeing me struggle too...and of course, I'm tired of struggling. He's going to be starting the EMT program in May and hopefully he won't have as many struggles as I have.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 10:02 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• College or trade school is almost ALWAYS better than not...but at this time..I think trade school is smarter and cheaper than getting a 4+ year degree!!! You spend more money and time getting it and arent guaranteed any kind of job relevant to what you studied! It sucks!!! Trade school is so much more efficient and cost effective!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• @layh41407
    I guess it depends which trade you enter. A master mason if employed by the union will make good money. If not he could start his own business. I guess one has to be well-rounded. For example, if he has any background in building construction he could do well.

I suppose my friend with 2 master's degrees is in the same boat. She was just offered a job for $10 an hour. How insulting to someone of her intelligence level.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Its like this: You either get it or you dont. College is like any school: its for some, not so for others. Really you are spending the money to go and 'do something.' Its sad when you do the years, get your degree and cannot use it; like your husband. Its a gamble. A friend of my husbands is in the same boat. However, the economy will not be like this forever,. Its temporary like anything else that comes and goes. A phase. When the time is right, he wll have that under his belt and ready for the challenge.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 10:51 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• College isn't for everyone- but have you looked at the unemployment rate for those without college degrees? It's a lot worse percentage wise. But then again I have two family members without college degrees that both make over $100,000 a year and then another family member with degrees coming out his ears working at pizza hut ($10 an hour). So really it does depend on the person.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2010