Puppy Training

We just got a lab/border collie mix. 4mo old.
Id like to train him in a few areas. He is doing great with Potty Training.
But we need to leash train him (he just lays down refusing to budge) and crate train him. Id also like to teach him commands: come, sit, down & stay for his/our safety & then maybe some fun tricks down the road.

But I dont know which to do first, and how much is too much.
Is him being potty trained/crate trained/leash trained too much to soon?

I figured commands will be taught after those 1 at a time.

any advice? Ive always had small dogs & never tried to train them in anything. But lab/collies seem to really need/love this kind of guidance. And if im not "leader of the pack" he will learn to lead us.. lol

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pets

• Your dog can and should be started at this age. It is not too much too soon. The more boundaries that you can establish now the easier your dog will be to handle down the road. You can crate train, leash train, potty train, obedience train, and even trick train your puppy starting now.

Dogs do not naturally walk on a leash, it takes time and it might help to let him drag the lead around in the house for awhile, of course be prepared to untangle him frequently. Otherwise, you should use any motivator, clapping hands, treats, toys...whatever gets the dog moving towards you on that leash, while the leash is slack for a few days before you start tugging on the lead or working on a proper heel position.

The first thing I teach a puppy is the recall, down, and a play retrieve....in that order! The recall is critical to start right away. In a nutshell, reward him every time he comes when called and be sure to teach him that
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Getting him started on his basic commands is fine to do now along with the potty/crate training as long as you are not over loading him. Keep the sessions short and only focus on one or two things at a time. As far as leash training him don't expect him to go on walks at this point. Start by luring him with a tasty treat with the leash on. I let them get at the end of the least so that there is not slack in it then I will shoew them the treat and when they step forward I let them have one. Keep doing that and farely quickly you will be able to move with him. I like the chewy chicken flavored milkbone treats for training because they are easy to make up.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• he can not get away /escape from you. You should never chase your puppy either if you want him to come to you every time. Also, you can never punish or scold puppy for coming to you, even if he was just in the garbage can! And practice calling him out of sight too.

I would recommend that you take him to a good obedience class where you can receive some detailed instruction and especially work him around the distractions. Teaching your dog how to focus on you and reliably follow your directions when there are distractions is the key to a well behaved canine.

For tricks, try the book dog tricks for dummies, it is quite good!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• training a dog can be very difficult....kinda like potty training a child lol.....it takes time and patients....keep your head up it will all happen soon....dont give up.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2010