reading

My 4yr old son wants 2 learn how to read what type of book of note cards 2 buy. Please help me

keona101

Asked by keona101 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have always loved the Dr. Seuss books for small children.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 10:10 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• There are some really good books by ...Ummm, sheesh, somthing Mayer, can't remember the authors name...but they are small paper back type books with funny characters and short but very good little stories. Titles are like: "all by myself"; Mom and me" Baby sister"; things like that. Our kids really liked them at that age and when they out-grew them, we donated them to the local pre-school. The kids there love them too. Disney story books are also good at that age although they tend to be longer stories.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Oh and the Mayer books tend to be larger print and simple words which is easier for the beginning reader.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Just remembered the authors name....it's Mercer Mayer. If you take a look at them, let me know if you and your child like them.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I would recommend looking for books that have a lot of repetitive words. Dick and Jane books are still the best! Second, go to the dolch sight word list and make your own flashcards for the preprimer list of words. Teach him how to read these words, as long as he knows all his alphabet letters and the sounds the letters make. Here is the Dolche list:
    http://gemini.es.brevard.k12.fl.us/sheppard/reading/dolch.html
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I started with alphabet flash cards, once they had those down and the sounds, then I bought sight words flash cards.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2010