S/O of the Wikileaks question..................

I am just wondering HOW PFC Manning had access to so much CLASSIFIED material. I mean the guy is a PRIVATE and some of this stuff should have been VERY highly classified. It just seems so unlikely given todays technologies.

I suspect he had help or that he played a useful role and is the fall guy. Your thoughts??

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 10:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, it sounds suspicious.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• He was an army intel analyst. My brother had access to info like that in the Navy long before he was a chief,
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• But, where did he get the state department stuff...the cables and such?
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• He had access to them. He was an analyst. An analyst evaluates field reports. Most cables are routed through the defense department. My brother worked for the defense department for about 20 years and had access to all types of stuff he still won't discuss. He has been retired for 25 years. He was top secret SCI. I don't find any listing for what level this guy was but if he had the training and passed security clearance then it isn't a suprise that he could access this information. There are 18 levels above top secret and not even the president has all the levels because of the limited time he can serve.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• from my comment on the orig post..."And this business might make one think that the gvt controlling the internet would be a good thing, eh?" Seems he had access to more than he should have, very convenient, I bet he had some help... money talks!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:01 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• either he knew someone who did have access or the access wasn't very securely maintained. OR he already had the access.

Being a Private doesn't determine what Security Clearance you have. There's GS-4s in Federal Service that have Secret Clearance (GS-4 is a low level in Civil Service). If the job you're in requires you to have Secret Clearance, you simply get it after a background check.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• NPR reported yesterday that he used a Lady Gaga CD (the artist isn't important, I don't know that they were confident on this info), under the pretense of listening to music. On this CD was a worm, which actually copied the information to the CD. The information was considered "secret," not the highest classification documents can receive. The system itself was thought to be secure - I guess they didn't count on a tech-savvy Benedict Arnold with a vendetta against the US. He had enough clearance to access the system. I've heard some reports that he is a scape goat; I don't think so - he reportedly bragged on several hacking sites that he was able to do this.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:26 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• A PFC in the Army is an E-3, that's plenty of enough rank for a top secret clearence that would've granted him access to all of this information.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:56 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Okay, maybe I didn't phrase my question right.

How is it that a PFC has access to YEARS of info. Why isn't this stuff analyzed and then secured at another level? Shouldn't we be using a "pass through" type system? Why on earth would you allow anyone with access to classified data to bring in ANYTHING that could be used to "steal" the info?

Where did he get the worm? Is this guy savvy enough to pull this off ALONE? That is my big question.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• of course he is a scapegoat...

We will probably never find out WHO ELSE is leaking these docs...

These other governments need to STAND up and TELL their people the truth,......Pakistan...TELL YOUR PEOPLE WHO YOUR REAL ENEMIES ARE and who is helping you..

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2010