What do you think of international childrens relief funds?

I saw a commerical for JoinPlanUs which pairs you with a child that you can sponser for 24 dollars a month. I really want to do it, but my dh wonders how do we really know that the money is getting to the child? I know that they have overhead costs they need to pay for, but how much of each dollar goes to the child? Has anyone done this before?

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 2:27 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We support several her in the US. I voluteer 20 hours a month at the Ronald Mcdonald House in Wisconsin and I donate to the childrens hospital, but also wanted to do something internationally as well. My husband is from Colombia South America, and we felt it was a nice way to help a child in the poor area that he grew up in.
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 2:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Wow I would have thought it would have been handwritten as well! Its hard to choose because I know there are so many greedy corrupt people that the money may never get to the child. I am going to do a bit more research first before I decide. Have you heard of Operation X-mas child? Thought of trying that too, and I know Toys for Tots is really going to need alot of donations this x-mas!
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 2:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2008