My 7-month old has double-ear infection for a month, need some veteran Mom experience on this

Here is the background. My 7-month old has had double ear infection for a month. She's been on 3 different types of antibotics without any improvements. She's constantly pulling her ears/hair...in short, she's miserable, esp at night. She was born little (6 oz, 19inches) and was 3 weeks early, nonetheless she was in 50th percentile at 3 months. At 6 month check-up, she fell to 3% in height and 10% in weight. She's pretty much exclusive breast-fed with some baby food during the day. This is not by choice, I'd like to supplement with formula, but she wont take it. When she nurses, she only does about 5 minutes and stops. My second let-down occurs around 6-7th minutes (based on when I pump) but she never works that hard to get to that point. I am worried, but the pediatrician seems calm. Any advice? suggestions?

Olivia4116

Asked by Olivia4116 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son who is now 19months went through alot of the same issues born 3weeks early was only 6lbs barely and was 17inches long. had his first ear infections at 4months and continued to get them all the time untill finally at 16months they put tubes in. we went through countless antibiotics which all failed at the end we were having to get shots to get them cleared up. My suggestion is to first get your little one on a probiotic formula that will help regulate the good bacteria in her tummy shes loosing from all the antiobiotics. ask your dr what one you should use. Second ask your dr about seeing a ear nose and throat dr your daughter may need tubes in her ears or may need to have her ear drums drained of the fluid thats built up. as for her weight i wouldnt worry to much shes been sick which means shes not gonna wana eat. try feeding her more solids durring the day and see if she will drink formula from a sippy cup.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Weight gain is not the best indicator of milk supply. Are you getting 6+ diapers/ day? If so, your supply is fine.

It probably hurts her ears to eat.

Garlic oil in the ear can clear up an ear infection in a few days. Similisan makes homeopathic drops you can buy at CVS also. Chiropractic care can drain the ears and heal an infection very well.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:04 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Also, start squirting some breast milk into her ears 3+ times a day starting right now.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• try onion juice. something about it not only numbs but heals ear infection. the ears will effect so many things including eation. good luck
    mommydown

Answer by mommydown at 12:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2010