Poverty?

My local paper did a big front page story about a single poverty-stricken Mom. The story talks about how difficult it was for her to apply for food stamps/other aid, visit the food pantry and participate in operation school bell. Her husband committed suicide and left her with a 9, 12 and 15 yr old girls to raise. It talks about her struggle to buy them the basics and fund their participation in sports. She receives $2800 a month from her husband's social security.

I was all set to feel sorry for her until I got to the part where she had quit her job. Before he died they were a 2 paycheck family. She worked in a very nice daycare/preschool here in town. After he died she quit her job to take care of her kids! They were 9, 12 and 15! Wouldn't they have been better off if she had continued working instead of getting them on the govt dole? I felt sorry for the kids, their names and school are listed in the paper. The article was very revealing.

I am not trying to be insensitve or anything. It just seems to me that if she had kept her job which had to be earning at least a thousand a month she would have been doing pretty good by many standards...more than $45,000 a yr.

I also think our paper could have chosen a much better representative of the REAL poverty out there.

What are your thoughts? What would you have done?

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 10:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My point in all of this is I think in many cases (NOT ALL) poverty is a state of mind, and if one were to evaluate what is TRULY important, would find a way to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. There was a time when poverty meant NOT having a car, cell phone, flat screen TV, cable/satellite, video game systems, etc. NOW, if you don;t have these things, you're considered impoverished?!

It's possible that this woman has a history of depression, but kept it in check by working. I agree that she SHOULD be working--at least part-time while her children are in school--just like she DID before her husband committed suicide!! IMO, it's an excuse, and she is looking for sympathy--like I said--state of mind!

I'd be curious to learn about their previous spending habits! Did they live check-to-check? Did they have any savings or life insurance policies? Were they more worried about keeping up with the Jones'?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• She receives $2800 a month from her husband's social security.
    ________________________________________
    She gets that much and has to go to the food kitchen? Something is very wrong here.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:08 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't have allowed my children to be singled out as impoverished. That isn't going to be good for their social situation. I agree that there are more needy people too.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Not knowing her full story, I'd agree with you. I can see a person taking time off after something like that, but not just up and quitting. I think a single parent needs to be working, especially when the kids are all at school all day. I would also think the reporter could find a better story of poverty.
    Anonymous

• And $2800 a month? That's a lot more than I make a month.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:00 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I have to agree with you and with the what loving said. that is more money than a lot of people live comfortably on.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• 2800 a mo in social security? I'm surprised she qualifies for any assistance making that much. I make about $1300 every 2 weeks and sure as hell don't qualify. She has 1 more kid than me though. I know here they don't count ss disability money but if its death benefits they do count it as income. I just went thru this with my friends mom who is having a hard time financially. She gets death benefits and it was counted as income, but if it was disability it wouldn't count. She has 3 kids, gets much less in ss, and has a job and still doesn't qualify for aid. Her twins are special needs. She needs to move to your city.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• First off, we have crazy amounts of life insurance, so if anything happens to either of us, the one that is left will be pretty comfortable. I would NEVER allow my kids to be in a situation where food was scarce. Twenty eight hundred a month...plus other aid and she still can't make do?

I don't understand why she quit her job, and I think she should start looking promptly.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:52 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I agree with the other posters ~ this woman needs to get out there and look for a job. I also think she is not really in a position to cry poverty.

I can sympathize with her losing her DH. I would have a difficult time with that myself ... maybe moreso since my boys are grown and I'd be sitting here alone. Presumably though she has a home, it is furnished, and she has an income that should cover the essentials and more.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• lovinangels said: She receives $2800 a month from her husband's social security.

I agree!!!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:09 AM on Nov. 29, 2010