What should I get for someone joining the military?

My 28 year old brother has enlisted in the Navy and will be going off to Basic in the middle of January. I am not sure what to get him for Christmas since he will be leaving so soon after the holidays. I really know nothing about the military so I do not know if there are things he can take to basic or anything. Any suggestions? Please help! (Oh, and any time I ask him what he wants he says "nothing" but then gets mad if we don't get him stuff. LOL, men.)

Groovyflor1

Asked by Groovyflor1 at 10:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Holidays

• How about a NAVY sweatshirt to wear proudly when he gets home.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 11:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• phone cards
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Stationary, stamps, and an address book
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• they are only allowed the basics in basic (no pun intended) and they will literally take things they think he doesn't need. So honestly, I'd give him a really awesome set of pens and a crap ton of stamps (since that will be his primary mode of communication for awhile)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:46 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Stamps and an address book filled with addresses.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Phone card, and anything to write letters with. My hubby went through basic about a year and a half ago, and he tried to write home as often as he could. They did give him a phone card to use, but I don't know if the navy does that as he's in the air force, but he used it up anyways. There's not much else they can really take with them.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Get him a nice watch. It can be a celebratory piece of jewelry that will always remind him of the time that he decided to enlist. Also, write him LOTS of letters while he is in boot camp. The brightest part of my husbands day was when he recieved a letter during boot camp.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• my hubby said that when he was in basic they made him put all personal belonging that he took with him in a locker until the end and he had to buy his paper, pens, stamps ...ect after he got there...he said the best gift would probably be cash if you wanted to help him out with that. (this was almost 10 years ago and air force basic training so I guess things could be different) Other than that maybe you could put together a family photo book or an album for him, even if he cant have it until after basic I'm sure he would appreciate being able to take those memories with him once he has been away for a while.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• We send most of our stuff home from bootcamp but if he has stamps in his wallet they are not going to make him empty the contents. Or address books they typically let you keep so you can send mail to family.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Stamps for his wallet and maybe a simple list of addresses typed up so that he can have it folded up in there too. Like PP said, cash would always work and then he's sure to be able to use it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:34 AM on Nov. 29, 2010