Could Jesus Have Survived the Crucifixion?

Interestingly I was reading up on where some people actually think that Jesus could have survived the crucifixion. Its called the "swoon theory". Have you heard of this theory and what do you think? Could Jesus Have Survived the Crucifixion?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 11:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I don't believe he survived it. That would completely contradict every the NT tells us. Besides, if Jesus had survived, why would his apostles have continued to spread his message, even when it meant death for themselves as well.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Because I have a relationship with God and take that very seriously I have certain beliefs about this..... Yes, supernaturally, He could have come down from the cross - just as the crowd taunted Him to. The swoon theory denies the death, burial and resurrection and thereby denies the identity and omnipresence of Jesus as the Son of God. I believe it happened just as the Bible claims it did.

BUT I believe that you are talking the strictly physical possibility.... The crucifixion process was designed to inflict death - yes, torture and extreme pain & suffering in the process, but the end result was meant to be death.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• It was traditional if they were not dead in time for the Sabbath to break their legs.. the legs of the thieves were broken first and when they came to Jesus he was already gone and they pierced his side just to be sure and every liquid gushed out , that meant He was truly dead. Where they pierced Him was on the side where His heart was as well. He had to die like Asmcbride said.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I don't believe that he would. I think I read that because of how he was nailed, his upper body would collapse and suffocate him from the weight.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• The point of the thrusting of the spear into his side was common practice to prove death at crucifixtions. He could have removed himself at any time but this would have gone against the will of God. Jesus knew what he was doing and that it would be physically painful and end in his physical death. That is why he prayed so earnestly before his arrest. But in the end he knew it was God's will that had to be carried out and not his own.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• @purpleducky- I know not everyone believes the NT. However, since it was a question dealing with Jesus, I assumed the OP was looking for some Christian feedback.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:01 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree with Sabrina. Crucifixion did not always equal death but did most of the time. Just like when we used the electric chair; it didn't always equal death but did most of the time. Actually people survived the guillotine (until they were forced to go into it again and again and again).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Well not all of us believe the NT. And why would his apostles have continued? Maybe because they wanted to change their religion. Why do any new religions start even in the face of death? Because someone wants change.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Jesus could have survived because he was fully God and fully man (He rose people from the dead...lol). But He was not supposed to, it was His prophecy to be the "last" sacrifice. He had to rise from the dead to fulfill the prophecy. The NT overwrote the OT. But the prophecy was mentioned in Daniel. Jesus' Crucifixion is mentioned there, I am not sure of the place but I could find it. I do know it is in Daniel maybe in Chapter 5. I just read it last week.

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I have heard about this. As I ponder this, I was wondering that producing a dead body would have been great for the Romans to make the Christians look like dummies. Guess what? No body. He totally rose!! Also, a Roman soldier could be executed for not doing his job correctly so the soldiers had a great motive to make sure Jesus died. If you study medical evidence, the bible goes along scientifically with what would happen to a body when it is flogged and crucified. The jab of the spear in Jesus' side and the water coming out due to suffocation. Only a person measured with enormous amount of LOVE would endure this type of death!!

Exactly what Asmcbride said too!
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:49 PM on Nov. 29, 2010