16 mmonths old sleeping

my daughter is going to be 16 months old in a week. she has never slept thru the night. she is getting the hang up getting to sleep on her own (no bottles anymore during the night) but she still wakes up during the night. usually once or twice.. sometimes more though and she can be up as early as 530 am. i am very tired usually but i just do not feel like i can let her cry. i have listened to doctors and friends tell me to let her cry but its just not something i want to do. my boyfriend (babys father) says i am being selfish.. so i feel bad. what are some mommys thoughts on this.. whether you dont believe in crying it out or you do.. please let me know and explain.. any sleeping tips would be great also.. thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• The first time my daughter slept through the night she did cry for a bit in the middle of the night. I wanted to go in her room and check on her and dh told me not to so I didn't. I know the feeling about wanting to check on your children to see if everything is alright and whatnot. Honestly if you don't let her cry it out it will take her a lot longer to get the hang of sleeping through the night and a lot longer for you to get a full nights rest as well.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• Babies cry for a reason. Sleeping through the night is NOT a developmental milestone. You can't make a baby sleep any more than you can make an adult sleep.

Go to your baby. Tell dad to shut up. CIO is cruel and traumatic. It sends your child the message that "Mommy is not available" which is the reason why you are unhappy letting your baby cry. You ARE available. When you comfort a crying child you are teaching the child that Mommy can be counted on.

Babies don't learn to self-sooth. The scream until they lose all hope and pass out in a traumatic sleep.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:01 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We let our 14 month old (at the time) FUSS it out. I think most mom's can tell the difference between a "I really don't want to be alone in my crib right now" cry, and a "I really need Mommy!" cry. I don't think that 5-10 minutes of crying in ones' crib is going to do them any harm. My son fussed/cried it out for a couple nights and it was hard to listen to, but now he LOVES going to sleep at night, and he doesn't wake up during the night. He goes down at 7pm and is up between 7:30 and 8am. You need to do what you think is right for your family though!
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 2:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2010