Can I drink caffeine during pregnancy?

I think the title says it all... I have SUPER cut back on my caffeine intake, but it is KILLING me. Im exhausted enough as it is.... will it hurt the babys development to drink a cup or two a day?

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 11:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• high caffeine intake has been linked to increase miscarriage rate during first trimester. Try to stay to 1 caffeinated drink a day. That means one soda or one coffee. Not one of each. =)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• One cup a day won't harm the baby. Up to 200 mg a day is considered safe. A shot of espresso is about 80 mg, and a strong cup of coffee is about 150.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2010

• I drank caffeine when I was pregnant both times..
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:00 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• A cup a day won't hurt at all. I tried to avoid it when I was pregnant, but sometimes I just couldn't help myself. My baby couldn't have been healthier when he was born right on his due date. Just don't overdo it.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:00 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• yeah, that's what i was going to say. Just limit yourself, i tired to go cold turkey and ended up with caffeine withdrawal headaches! not fun!
    britt_howard

Answer by britt_howard at 12:00 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Great, thank you! I have been doing ZERO, or half a cup on a long study night. I will try to keep it at what I have been doing, and get used to the exhaustion?! :)
    Tarrar

Comment by Tarrar (original poster) at 12:01 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• There was a recent change in the "rules" that allows for some caffeine. I cut it out completely with my 1st and then my doc said it was allowed with my second. I cut way back and only allowed myself to have it if we went out to eat. I always felt so guilty and felt like the waiter was judging me.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Lol yes, when I complained of being tired, everyone told me to just get used to it, and that I was going to be tired for the next 18 years!
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Oh great! Well, my BF keeps accusing me of being lazy etc, I cant help that I don't want to work on the car or take a trip to wal mart at 4 am. i want to SLEEP!!
    Tarrar

Comment by Tarrar (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Also, tea caffeine is slightly safer than coffee caffeine. I drank an iced tea nearly every day toward the end of my pregnancy, as it was 100 degrees out.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:08 AM on Nov. 29, 2010