how many ppl does 1/2 sheet of cake feed?

I will be cutting decent size pieces. I'd say 3 x 3...

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 11:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• my family 10-15 people
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 12:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Are you talking about a baker's half a sheet cake? If so that's a 11x15. So if you want to make 3x3 inch services, you would get approx 4 pieces across the 11 inch size (a little under 3 inches a piece) and 5 pieces going the other way on the 15 inch side. That would be 20 pieces. Though I have to say, 3x3 is a little big IMO. 1.5 x 3 would still be a healthy serving and you would get almost 7 x 5 = 35 servings which is more in line with how many pieces you should get out of a cake that size.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Another thing to think about if you are ording this cake, a lot of times they will slice the layer in half to create two smaller layers and put filling in between. This will add height to the cake and also make it more rich, which while make a smaller serving more grand looking. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• the bakery i used to order cakes from said a half sheet was 48 servings - but it was also a high cake (no filling) with plenty of frosting. now i make my own cakes, i torte them with a filling, and get at least that. if i made a fairly thin, plain half sheet, it would still get no less than 24 but they would be almost too big.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 9:42 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I ordered one for DS's birthday in September.. we had 30 people here for his party and only half the cake was eaten. We cut slices by request.. and most of our family asked for a small slice.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 10:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2010