BREASTFEEDING

My son is almost 5 months old and I have been EBF since he was born. [We had to supplement a LITTLE in the first week but none since] But now, when I'm pumping, I only get 4 oz [total on both sides]. I was getting 6 and then all of a sudden I'm lucky if I get 5. He takes a 6 oz bottle. When I tried putting less milk in his bottles he whines and is still hungry. I used to pump everynight at 11pm just so have some backup but now he wakes up and nurses at 10:30. He's been doing this for a month and I'm wondering if I should be supplementing with formula because I'm afraid he's not getting enough.
-Should I be supplementing?
-Is there a type of formula thats better to supplement with?
-Is it safe to mix half formula and half breastmilk in a bottle?

All answers appreciated!!

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wouldn't mix it but if he's still hungry I would give him some formula.
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 2:41 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• It is pretty common to have a decline in response to the pump. It doesn't mean your milk supply is drying up, though. Try pumping one breast while your child nurses on the other side. That ought to help you pump more. Remember that milk production is supply and demand, so if you start supplementing, you are telling your body to reduce milk production, and it becomes sort of a viscious cycle. If your baby is well hydrated and gaining weight, you don't need to supplement. Are you pumping and bottle feeding because you work or are away from home? Or is it possible for you to just nurse full time instead of using bottles? Babies are MUCH better at getting milk out of a breast than a pump is.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• If he seams satisfied after nursing then it's probably OK. I wouldn't supplement. Maybe you could find another time of day to pump untill he gets back on a normal schedule. Or you could even start giving him baby food to help satisfy him longer.
    01buckler15

Answer by 01buckler15 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• In my opinion you should just nurse him the more you nurse the more milk you'll produce.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 2:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I love your answers but the problem is that I work fulltime [usually more like 50-55 hours a week] If I could just sit home and nurse him it would be a dream come true but it's not an option.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I think you should nurse him when he wants to nurse. Maybe pump an hour after to start producing more milk. I try to pump once a day, I was getting up to 8 or more oz a side now I get 1.5 but I was weaning off the bottle to EBF, I had NICU babies. IF you must supplement I think your baby will take it better mixed with BF than just a bottle of nastiness by itself.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:49 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Ah. That's a problem then. Well, as I said, it is a common problem. A lot of women stop responding as well to the pump after awhile (or even stop responding at all). Every time you nurse when you are at home, be sure to pump the other breast at the same time. Really, you may be amazed at how much milk you get. Also, how long do you pump/nurse? I ask because once my son got to be about 6 months old, one letdown was not enough for my son to eat. But if he kept on nursing for another 5-10 minutes (even though not much was coming out) I'd have another letdown and then he'd be all set. If you have your heart set on continuing with breastmilk, I would advise you to do everything you can to avoid supplementing with formula. Have you tried fenugreek or mother's milk tea? Upping your milk supply with supplements may help you pump more.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Pumping and nursing at the same time seemed to help me out a lot when I was working after having my second baby. I have found that eating oatmeal helps to increase supply too, so maybe give that a try. Personally I would try some or all of the suggestions here first, even starting baby food once a day, before supplementing with formula. I know it's hard when you have to work and if nothing else works for you don't feel bad that you have to supplement, if your baby is hungry you do what you have to do for him.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• At work I would pump every two and a half to three hours, I would also feed her before work and upon arriving home. At times when I had to skip a pumping or feeding I def noticed a decline in production and the only way i could make up for it was to pump extra, more often, or feed on demand during my days off of work. When I was at work, if there was not enough bm to meet Belle's needs, my hubby would give her Enfamil, which we came to learn that the makers of Enfamil tend to be ahead of the game with their research and product development. I now stay at home, and more recently have discovered Blessed Thistle, an herb that has been used for generations to increase milk supply, aid in indigestion, and help alleviate gas. Honestly, whenever I (remember to) take it my breasts are bulging out of my bra no matter how much she eats. Also, he may be ready for solids, as they say to start them at 4-6 months. Best of luck!!!
    leamaclean

Answer by leamaclean at 5:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i would suggest taking supplements to help boost your supply for the purpose of pumping.
    fenugreek pills--3 taken up to 3 times a day can get the job done.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 7:03 PM on Nov. 5, 2008