How can I get my kids to mind better

Hello i'm a single mother of 2 and the ages are 3 and 5 and my kids have a bad problem of being nice and acting right how can i make them mind alot better and stop the crying,hitting,bitting,and so on???Any ideas

MaNdY002

Asked by MaNdY002 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I assume you mean they are not acting nice...... you need to clearly define rules and consequences for your children and stick with it. The minute you change a rule or the punishment you have decided on, they think that they've won.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• One technique I use goes like this................
    I take my son, sit him down at the table and I ask him what his most favorite things to do are. Then I write each one down on a large piece of paper until I get to about a list of 10. Then, I post it on the wall in his play room. When I feel he is misbehaving, I say "That's one". If he misbehaves a second time, I say (that's two). If he misbehaves a third time, we walk over to our list and I ask him which of the items on the list he chooses to cross off, then he loses that particular activity/toy/event. We start over every Monday so, if he loses something that day, he has to wait a week to gain it back. It works very well without yelling, spanking or frustration.
    Additionally, If he is at "one" for example and then does something really good like clean-up without me asking him or help his sister, I will essentially give him a point and tell him he's back to zero.
    TwoSnuggleBugs

Answer by TwoSnuggleBugs at 2:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• One more thing I would like to add...
    The most important thing to remember is be consistent with whichever for of form of discipline you choose.
    TwoSnuggleBugs

Answer by TwoSnuggleBugs at 3:02 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Consistency.

When your child misbehaves you need to address the situation immediately. So if you are cooking, on the phone, whatever, STOP what you are doing immediately and address the situation. At that age I say things l like "We don't hit. It's not nice to hit. Hitting hurts." Maybe give a time out. Time out should be 1 minute for year old the child is.

No means No. If you tell them No and they don't listen, it's back to Time Out.

If crying is because of a legitimate reason, comfort the child. If we are talking about a child that just whines and cries, put them in time out or send them to their room. Tell them "I don't want to listen to your whining. When you are done whining I will talk to you."

But you must be consistent. It won't take long for your children to get used to the rules their attitudes should improve.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2008