Do you know how to change your own break pads?

Can it be done from home, I want to learn how.

SFerber

Asked by SFerber at 12:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Travel

• OMG No! I'm useless with that kind of stuff, lol I can check my oil :) Good for you though for wanting to learn!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No but google it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yep sure can.. no big deal but can be messed up easily... Only reason i know is i have a mechanic for a dad... grew up around that stuff..
    judgednconfused

Answer by judgednconfused at 12:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My DH is a mechanic and he told me that googling the instructions would be a bad thing cause u don't know for sure where they got the info. He recommended that u will want the Haines or Chiltons book u can get at your local auto shop (ie Advanced Auto) for your spefic type of car, or even better your car's service manual (big thick book) would be better. He taught me how, and its fairly easy to do as long as your DH is patient or if are by yourself and u take instruction and read directions pretty good. Good luck
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• No, but DH can. Your public library might also have the Chiltons books as well (at least the one I worked at did) if you don't want to buy one (if they have for your model). Not sure about Haines though.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:12 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• .¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸no never have my dh is a mechanic so he does all that stuff...but i do know you can look it up online and get the info and do it yourself..
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I can't (don't want to) but DH does it all the time - we never have a mechanic do it for us. Not all of them are easy though - some of them require a special tool (our mechanic lets us borrow his, it would cost $3,000 to buy it ourselves), sometimes they are super hard to get off (we did have to call our mechanic for help once, something was stuck and DH couldn't get it without help, it was stuck soooo bad!). Yes, you sure can change your own brake pads, but you might not be able to because of special tools & whatnot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I've assisted my dad before, but never done it myself. Good luck!
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 12:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• oooh no
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:17 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Good luck! I'd always take mine to the mechanic.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 7:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2010