Restrained in the car seat?

My 3 year old lives with his paternal grandparents half time and I am really concerned about how they travel with him. Lately he has been playing with his car seat straps and getting out of the seat while the cars moving, to deal with this his paternal grandparents have started to tie him in with a shoe lace in addition to the 5-point harness on the car seat. I am outragged at this because I believe it is putting my son in danger. As we are not on good terms with his grandparents they dont listen to us when we voice out concerns and since it is a court ordered custody I cant just refuse to let them take him. I have googled to see if this is illegal in any way or if it is just unsafe but I cant find any pages on it. Can someone please help me out so I can keep my son from getting hurt.

mammaoftwoloves

Asked by mammaoftwoloves at 1:13 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• if they get into an accident with a shostring tied around him i cant even immagine what would happen...could be horrific...call your prosecutors office, write a letter to a judge, get an attorney...whatever you have to do...this is not safe at all
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 1:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• You are worried that a shoelace is going to put him in more danger than him getting out of his seat will? Or am I reading that wrong? I have a grandmother who put my son on a plastic booster seat and then just used the regular seatbelts, so I can kinda understand where you are coming from. But as with many other aspects of child rearing this kind of thing has changed a lot since they had kids. I would say just talk to them about it, but I don't see how a shoelace is really putting him in danger - of course I don't see how it's safer either...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:17 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• This doesn't even seem logical or realistic because how is a shoelace going to stop him from getting out when a 5 point harness can't even hold him in? A shoelace is so thin that it would have to be wrapped around him numerous times- and not only that but the carseat is likely to be bigger than he is, so the lace wouldn't even get tight against his body. The carseat would keep the lace from touching him, so how would this restrain him? I'm confused as to how they have it set up. I don't know your situation, but that is still your child 100%, so you have every right to voice your concern and follow through with any actions that need to be done to keep your child safe.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 1:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My worry with the shoe lace is that if they got into an accident they might not be able to get him out quick enough and he could get hurt worse because of that. I am equally worried about him getting out of his car seat while driving but really that could be handled quickly and easily while being tied in takes the granddad about 5 minutes to untie when they park so that becomes my main concern especually with winter driving.
    mammaoftwoloves

Comment by mammaoftwoloves (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• they tie the shoe lace around the 5 point so if he undoes it the shoe lace holds it closed and he cant get out
    mammaoftwoloves

Comment by mammaoftwoloves (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Oh I see. I would also be concerned about it. I would talk to them first and explain how to tighten the straps enough to help hold him in better and tell them the dangers of using the shoelace. If they don't agree to fix it I would get someone else involved, whether it be the county or the local EMT center who usually conduct carseat safety checks. It would be awful if they were unable to get him out in an emergency. Good luck
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 1:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It IS illegal to travel with the harness straps too loose. There are guidelines and regulations for how tight they are supposed to be, and if the straps are so loose he can climb out, and they got pulled over, they could be ticketed for negligence for not having him properly restrained. If they won't listen to you, it's best to see if you can have an officer of the law show and explain to them how to properly use a child safety restraint.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:38 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would explain t them how this is unsafe in the case of an accident or some other emergency that could happen and that if it does not stop that you are going to talk to a lawyer. Tell them that thy just need to enforce better him not getting out of the seat. Maybe one of them could sit in the back with him so that they could stop him themselves as soon as he starts to try.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree tying the shoe lace around the 5 point is dangerous esp if in an accident. The other thing I would concentrate on is getting your child to understand that he can not get out of the seat. Easier said than done I know but that is also very important.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 6:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• http://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/on-the-go/pages/Time-To-Buckle-Up-the-Right-Way.aspx
    or go to your county building and ask them for safety tips or what is good or not good for to do when putting your child in a car seat.
    luvmybgtwins

Answer by luvmybgtwins at 7:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2010