Why is it that in some families, Christmas can be stressful?

I think it should be fun for the kids. Don't you?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Holidays

• It may be that money is the common denominator. If your kids are small and you can't afford that "good" Christmas or if your kids are bigger and you *really can't afford what they're asking for and expecting. It's kinda hard to make a kid happy when their list is 30 toys long but your budget comes up 25 toys short - you know the disappointment is coming, and you're powerless to stop it. That makes mom and dad's all over the world stress. (I have a good friend tho, who can find stress in going to the park - so for all it's different, I guess.)
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 1:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• SOME families? I think there is some degree of stress in all families during the holidays. Expectations are high, events have to be coordinated, and many personalities are involved and bound to clash at some point. Yes, it should be and usually is fun for the kids, unless the adults selfishly decide to involve them in their drama. That isn't cool. But otherwise, the stress is normal.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 1:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I do! But unfortunately with the bad economy people just don't have the money. Also, families/in-laws can be demanding or guilt trip you and that's stressful! Christmas is for KIDS!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• People get too worked up w/ spending lots of money, or thinking they have to! When you teach your children the real meaning of Christmas and the PRICELESS things are what makes it so SPECIAL!! And yes.. presents are a plus!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 1:54 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Christmas is stressful to me becasue there is so much to be done. Inbetween buying the presents,decorating the house, baking, wrapping, sending out Christmas cards can be exhausting. I don't sleep well from now until December 25th. Then there is always the money situation. I wish I had a ton of money so that I could just go out and buy whatever everyone wants and not have to think about it. I wish we could skip all the gift buying and just have fun. If it weren't for the money factor, I would love Christmas.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 2:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Some people over commit during the holiday season. That or their kids expect more for Christmas than they can afford. Christmas is pretty laid back at my house. They each get a few gifts but we are focused more on togetherness, charity, and that kind of stuff. I never got a ton of presents and its my favorite time of year so I think parents stress themselves with trying to get tons of gifts. I can afford to get more than we do but they are happy every year and it leaves us with money for the shoebox presents.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 2:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• well, you are right....but sometimes families deal with issues....in my case, it's autism and anxiety....as soon as the tree goes up, it means things change around the house, something big and overwhelming is coming and the build-up and excitement is too much to handle....the stores are busy which cause anxiety for my children so we avoid shopping, which means christmas shopping has to be done early or I have to find babysitters to go and do all of it on my own....the schools are buzzing with special activities that are a huge change from routine...so yeah, christmas becomes a very stressful time....family wants to visit which is often too much too handle and end up spending time in their rooms to escape the visits which i think is completely unfair and family doesn't understand...they think it's rude no matter how much you explain....everyone has their story....that's mine, lol...we still find ways to make the most of it.
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 4:58 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The past few for us have been stressful because it has been nothing but go go go. My dh is a homebody and when he has to go somewhere on his days off he can really turn into a grinch (especially during christmas when its "be here at 12 and here at 2") Well this year i've decided there isnt going to be any of that. I'm tired of all the bickering. I am having christmas here! We arent going anywhere! If we do decide to visit anyone its going to be because we want to and its not going to be because we are scheduled to.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree that it should be fun for the kids!!!!!!
    kevsmom5410

Answer by kevsmom5410 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Money is the root of all evil , especially who can outdo the next sibling or neighbor and friend.Mix in the clashing family personalities and baggage filled spats from the year past and that is why it is so stressful imo.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:35 AM on Nov. 29, 2010