I need some tips on how to help me memorize something for class :/

We were recently assigned to memorize 14 sentences for class. And im TERRIBLE at memorization!! Any tips on how to help these sentences stick in my mind!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in

• have u tried puttin it on recording an play it thru headphones while you are sleeping..
    or making a song out of it..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:24 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My husband told me a tip that one of his professors gave him and I tried it with my biology class. IT REALLY HELPS.

Read through each one 12 times. Then repeat that within 24 hours because if you don't repeat it then it will only stay in your short term memory and won't be processed in your long term memory. If you repeat it within 24 hours it will be stored in your long term memory and will be easily accesable.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:27 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Write each one ten times
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:32 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• When I had a stroke the DRs told me to go into a room totally alone and read out loud to myself for 15 minutes. This stimulates other parts of your brain and helps you to remember things. I now have my DS,11, do this when he has a test. The trick is to make sure you are all alone, because if you are worried that someone will listen in then it will not work. Also going longer than 15 minutes every 8 hours does not make you remember more. Good Luck!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:57 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I forget what it's called, but can you use the first letter of each word in each sentence to create a silly phrase or something?

Like, in 7th grade life science we had to remember 10 branches of biology - I came up with OPP, BET, BIZE which = ornithology, pomology, physiology, bryology, ecology, taxonomy, botany, ichthology, zoology, and entomology

See? A million years later and I still remember

Or like, the different classificiations: King Phillip Came Over For Green Soup = Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus. Species

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Make a song out of it (even if it doesn't rhyme well) sing it and listen to a recording., write it down multiple times, make flashcards, say it to yourself while doing jumping jacks. That pretty much covers every learning style out there. Personally I can make a song and memorize anything but if you are a tactile learner the moving while saying it and the writing would be more helpful.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 2:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• These are great suggestions....but what about posting the 14 sentences and letting us help you with specifics???
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 4:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Have you tried the acronym system. My hubby used it in college. Take every letter from the beginning sentence and make a work out of it.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Write every sentence at least five times each helps me to remember and understand what the sentences are.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2010