How did you wean your BF baby?

When did you start? Did you switch to whole milk/formula/soymilk/other? Cold turkey or gradual? Bottle or sippy? Any tips?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 1:42 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• My daughter had a routine. She would feed every time she woke up from a nap - she would always be awake the same amount of time, and sleep the same amount of time. So what I did was replace one feeding a day, mid day, with a sippy of pumped milk. Then eventually switched that to watered down juice. I recommend using the kind that has handles on both sides and a soft latex sippy spout, to start with. Try not to use bottles, if your baby is old enough to be weaned, he or she is old enough to use a sippy. Just replace one feeding a day to start with, and gradually replace more and more. My daughter pretty much weaned herself, because the older she got the longer she would stay awake, so the less naps she would take, which meant feeding less often. Don't let your child carry a sippy or bottle around all day, try to keep it restricted to normal nursing/eating times. I started weaning at 9 months and she was off by 16.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 1:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• If the child is leading the weaning then it's already gradual and you've already been introducing alternatives, right?
    So it's subtle.
    With my kids, they were too old for sippy cups or bottles.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:54 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• At 10.5 months, I gave her formula once a day for two days(in a sippy cup), to make sure she would drink it. On the third day, I quit BFing completely. I was engorged and in pain for only 2-3 days (motrin solved that problem). Cold turkey worked for me.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 4:03 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We practiced child led weaning. We introduced a sippy cup with water at around 9 or ten months, so when she self-weaned at 23 months, she was very happy with the healthy habit of water. www.babyledweaning.com

Cow milk is for baby cows.   http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My ds weaned himself.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Mine were young, needed formula & bottles yet. I cut out a feeding a day every few days, or I'd go as long as I could stand it before bf them - if they needed a bottle they got it, and if they weren't hungry when I was ready I'd hand express enough to get through til they wanted to nurse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2010