What's the best way to prepare my son for the SAT?

My son Tyler is taking the exam both this spring and next fall. I don't want to waste money on a class though, because I know he'll hate it. Anyone have some experience in this area, with a study method that works?

eaglescoutmomma

Asked by eaglescoutmomma at 2:02 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• yeah, and it's real easy. As long as he follows all his normal school coursework, studies it and does all his homework, he'll do fine on the SAT.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree with Fluffy. When I took the SAT a million years ago (okay, 98 or 99 - and yes I know it was a bit different) I didn't even know what it was I was taking and why - everyone else was so I figured I'd better. I didn't study, just did a few problems from a sample booklet they gave us when we signed up. I did fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• In addition to knowing the material that is taught in school, doing practice SAT's does help boost results slightly.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It's not just about knowing the material but also about managing time during the exam. Sometimes the kids get hung up and spend way too much time on a particular section or problem. They need to move on and go back to those problems if they still have time after completing the majority of the exam. Also, I know that many kids take the test more than once but it seems that most do better the first go-round ... I know I did (all those years ago) and so did my son last year. Good luck to your son!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:02 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• SAT's are not always what's taught in school, it would depend on the quality OF the school to determine that. ACT's are easier than SAT's.....ACT's are the ones that utilize what you have already learned, SAT's are the ones that are harder. Have him take the class, even if it's boring. There are books with praactice tests, have him take those. Look for something online and utilie whatever you find.
    Anonymous

• Have him take the class. You are talking about him getting into college. Also, he needs to have a strong vocabulary, math skills and writing skills. He will have to write an essay and be able to show his work for higher math.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2010