My son is 9 years old and really struggles in his reading, he loves video games and I was just wondering if there is any good reading electronics that I can purchase to help him out?

outofoptions67

Asked by outofoptions67 at 2:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Personally I'd say put away the video games and get out the books. Just down with him and read read read!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I honestly don't know any games that can really help. I know children who have difficulty in reading at this age and my son is the same age. I have helped other kids with reading, so my advise, and I mean this in the most polite and helpful way possible, is to forget the electronics and stick to the books. Video games can be a reward for reading instead. I think it is best if you can give him a gift card to the book store and then help him find a book or two that really interests him. And read that book together, every night. Reading I know, is like a muscle and it has to really be exercised to get better. Also, having the right material that interests your child is half the battle. Another idea is to go to a teacher's store, or go online here http://www.lakeshorelearning.com They have a lot of reading materials to help you in every way, building fluency, vocabulary, comprehension, etc. Try to do a little every day.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:35 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Gonna be honest with you. I have 2 girls who both struggled with reading. There are learning video games out there....but kids lose interest in them very quickly. I suggest (which is what several teachers have suggested to me) to have him read whatever HE is interested in. Im thinking that maybe video game magazines would be a good place to start with your son. I know it sounds silly..but it works! Also..read with him for a little every day. I remember reading the "choose your own adventure" books when I was younger (geared more towards boys...but I love um & so do both my girls). My children tend to get bored with reading books....so I would try to make it fun. Have them choose their own books from the library or book store & then take turns reading pages (& I think the most important thing about keeping kids interested in reading is to TALK ABOUT THE BOOK WITH THEM while you are reading it & after you are done! GOOD LUCK
    aboutmygirls

Answer by aboutmygirls at 4:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The best thing to do is get him into reading books. Like the others have suggested put down the games and get something that he is interested in reading. When I was around 5-6 my mother used to be a volunteer at the local primary school and she used to help with reading. She recently told me [because my dd has been diagnosed with AHDH] that the school with some kids had given up. But mom with a little patience and one on one time would be able to have these kids reading pretty fluently for their age within a month or 2. She had about 4-5 kids each day for half an hour at a time.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 5:32 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Ask his teacher. My kids used to play the MathBlaster video game to brush up their math skills. There may be something similar for reading? It's not a substitute for books, but might be better for him to play than regular video games.

Answer by missanc at 10:15 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Sorry to put it in two posts - I still read WITH my kids (they are 9 and 10) and they like it much better than reading alone. We pick a book and then each take turns reading a page, then pass it to the next person. We read 2 chapters at night and they are always begging for more. My 9 year old doesn't read as fluently as I would like (although she's in AG for reading) so I model appropriate expression and intonation when reading to help her.

Answer by missanc at 10:18 AM on Nov. 29, 2010