socializing toddlers

I'm looking for ideas on helping my son learn how to interact with other kids. We only need childcare for like 2-3 hours 2x a week, so he just hangs with the grandparents - no day care or anything. We do storytime at the library, but other than that...?! What do you do to help your tots learn how to interact appropriately with others? Thanks in advance for your ideas!

TarraJoy

Asked by TarraJoy at 2:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• playdates, and monitor their behavior.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 4:04 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Our city's Parks and Recreation Department has some inexpensive programs for babies and toddlers. Mommy & Me classes, tumbling, music, etc. Some of them meet once, others meet once/week for 7-8 weeks. They are lots of fun and very low cost! Also a great way to meet others to have playdates with. Have you looked for moms groups in your area? We have an active one here that meets at local playgrounds throughout the year. Also, there is MOPS (Mothers Of PreSchoolers) if there is one in your town (google it).

Answer by missanc at 10:14 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I run a home day care so my son gets a ton of socializing..I am also going to be doing an afternoon Montessori preschool program here at my home since I know so many people who have this problem. Just remember just a few hours a week is enough because soon enough they will be getting socialization 8 hours a day at school for 12 years!
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 10:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• i tried to take my dd to the park but she wasnt very friendly so we had to leave, but we continue to try and she loves playing with the other kids!
    ajj_mami_grace

Answer by ajj_mami_grace at 11:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Have you found a moms group/play group in your area? We have one that I joined when I was pregnant, and DS and I have so much fun with it! We have found some really good friends. Google moms groups or play groups and your city/town, or go on Yahoo groups, or meetup.com. See what you can find. If you go to church, you might be able to find a play group there. If worst comes to worst, start one! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:12 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• The park, find a mom's group in your area, play dates with kids close to the same age, open play times at a local gymnastic place if you have one, play areas at a mall are just a few more ideas. My DS is an only child right now, and taking him to the park and the library story time helped a lot, but joining a local mom's group is helping even more, especially since many of my friends are childless or have just recently had babies (where there's more than a year age difference between their kids and my DS). Keep in mind that they usually just parallel play at first anyway, and later their play will be more interactive. There will probably be good days and bad, but keep trying. We are. Just modeling proper behavior and pretend play in your own home can help with their manners, etc. too. Good luck!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2010