would it be appropriate..?

my son has recently joined preschool; it's been hard at the beginning but he's doing better now, one of the administration staff who has been so helpful and nice to me and my child is retiring by Christmas; other mothers have raised some money to get her a gift, I only knew about this so it's too late for me to participate. would it be appropriate for me to get her something from me and my child? if you think it is, what is a good idea of a gift for her? she's in her fifties I guess.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, you can give her a gift from your family. Our school always has a room parent who collects money for a teacher gift, but many parents opt out of that and purchase their own gift instead.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I would get her a neutral gift like a scented candle.

Answer by louise2 at 3:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It's perfectly appropriate to buy a fifty year old administrator a gift for Christmas. A good gift idea for her would be either a giftcard to a nice restaurant. This is important because if she doesn't like your gift, she can always regift it (assuming you give it to her before the holidays).
    NotaDumbMother

Answer by NotaDumbMother at 4:41 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think giving her a giftcard to a restaurant or coffee shop is a safe bet.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 12:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• a giftcard, so she can get something that she would like.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 1:38 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think it is sweet that you want to give her a gift and if you want to then you should. A gift card is always something nice and works but if you want to give her something more personal, you can get a pair of earrings that are nice (and not costly) at Kohl's. Maybe you could get a nice scarf and gloves set? Or even an ornament since it will be around Christmas time and and a nice little reminder for her every year she puts her tree up.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Sure. I think that would be great. You could give her a gift certificate for a spa or a restaurant.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2010