What can I do to help my son stop bitting his nails?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 3:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• But him some gloves. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• they have this nail polish stuff at Walgreens. When you put it on his nails (easlier when he's asleep), once he puts his finger in his mouth he'll taste a nasty bitter taste and not want to do it anymore.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 3:30 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I did it all growing up, still do. After i turned a teenager my mom put hot sauce on my fingernails. If he likes hot stuff though it won't help. Good luck!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 7:09 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• As an adult?? Sure - you can try and get him the bite polish, but you would be a fool to try and put it on him. Gloves - only good while he wears them and unless he is a mentally challenged adult, you have no right to force him to wear them other times.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Explain how unsanitary it is. He is eating so much dirt & germs
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 10:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• To Stop UR son from BITING his nails is 2 put PEPPER on his nails that should STOP him
    Cuteone52

Answer by Cuteone52 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If it bothers you to see him do it ask him not to do it in your presence. Other than that I personally, would say nothing about it. It's his body, he's an adult. If he wants to have ugly stubby fingernails so be it. I would be worried over the compulsion though. If he's doing that what else will he do when he's stressed? Do you have access to a counselor? Maybe he can talk to someone about why he's so stressed. I think the stress is the issue not the nail biting.
    Miss2010

Answer by Miss2010 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Good thing its almost Christmas! Now I have two gifts to give him!! Hummmm I wonder if we have Walgreens in Montana? Have to check that out! Thank you for the advice!
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 3:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• He's an adult? If so then I'd say there's nothing you can do about it.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• the reason he bitting is stress out i would find out what is going on,sit and talk to him you need to hear what he has to say
    and mom listen you might not like what he has to say but he needs to talk so just listen
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2010