What age did your child start wondering about Santa?

While Christmas shopping a few weeks ago, my son came out and told me that Santa doesn't exist. He's 8 and a half. I asked him a few questions, like where does he think the presents come from, and why does he think Santa isn't real. I told him to not say anything more, that we would talk about it at home. I didn't want his younger sisters or any other kids in the store to overhear. So, we got home, and DH and I told him that he was right, that Santa is something we tell kids when they're young because it's fun to believe in magic. We also told him that if he spoils it for any other kids, that he won't get any presents. (Not that we could bear to let him go presentless on Christmas, but he got the idea) He took it all in stride, and was actually ok with it all. Some people have told us he's too young though. So my question is, how old was your child when you told them "the truth"? Or how old do you think is reasonable?

justplainjenni

Asked by justplainjenni at 5:03 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Holidays

• Autism...slower mental maturity... Jr High age... still believes...in fact, to keep him from getting teased at school or getting all awkward (its not as cute as it was when he was 5-7YO)... we've convinced him Santa stops coming at 12, at the latest, in fact after 10, he doesn't give much at all, if anything. DS seemed to understand that and is prepared for his last Santa visits.

He's very very sensitive an just bursting his bubble like that would be really bad.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My boys are 8 and 10. They have never believed in Santa. We told them from the moment they could understand. One thing I promised myself when I had children was that I wouldn't lie to them and I don't. We do, however, ask them to politely respect other people's beliefs unless they get super pushy about them.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 6:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I don't lie to my children about Santa but I let them believe in the magic and will as long as they can. They are children and should be able to be children. It's all about the magic and when they do find out they will understand why it'snot a lie but just a magical time for them. My daughter will be 9 in January and she still hasn't asked yet. My dh says why spoil it for them he just thinks parents are selfish in not allowing children the fun and magic of Christmas.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:30 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• 5 (this year..like the very first week of school) i told him the truth when he asked but i don't think he cares. When we were decorating the tree last night he was saying "santa this and santa that" He still wants to believe so that is just fine with me. Oh, and when i did tell him i told him the whole st. nick story about how he was real...so maybe thats why my son still speaks about santa...or maybe he is just afraid he wont get any presents..lol.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:06 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My daughter made the announcement right before last Christmas that Santa was not real - she was 10. We let the girls believe as long as they want to - our older daughter was 13 when she finally wanted to know for sure. In any case if your son is okay with it, then he's old enough. With our younger daughter we threatened the same thing if she went around telling younger cousins.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My daughter asked me at age 8.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• In the past kids believed longer. My grandma says when she was a kid, they believed into their teens. When I was a kid, it was until 10-12. The internet and TV ruins it for kids.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010