Best ways to get rid of fleas when you have used frontline and cleaning constantly. What else can be done???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Pets

• Go to the vet and get flea bombs for the house. All living things (You your pets, fish etc... ) need to be out of the house for a day. Set the bomb off and leave. Come back next day and air out house. You'll need to wash everything again but it should work. Then switch your pet meds to something different. Sometimes frontline doens't work. Try advantage.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:42 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Dawn dish detergent kills feas, when ever I give my dogs a bath, I add . a little to the water.But dont baith them after using advantage or frontline for atleast 3 to 4 days.
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Dawn is not good for a dogs coat. It strips the oils from the fur and causes dry skin. If there are fleas the skin is already irritated. Thats like washing the dog in alcohol.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:26 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Dawn kills my hands, I sure wouldn't use it on my dog. I would get a flea bath recommended by the vet and use something like Advantage or whatever else was recommended by my vet. The flea bomb sounds like a good idea if they are that determined too.Good luck.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 6:34 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Dawn is only a temporary solution it will not get the fleas that are in the environment. If frontline is not working for you switch to Advantage or revolution. Make sure you use it for at least 4 months in a row to get the whole flea cycle
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:40 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• one flea can lay a thousand eggs in a few weeks, and has gone through its whole life cycle. Once you see the fleas, usually you have a rather large infestation in your home. So, it takes time (months) for the frontline to kill all of the fleas. Also be sure that you are applying the frontline directly on the skin of your pet and don't bathe the dog for 2 days before or after the application of frontline...just to be on the safe side.

You can use another flea treatment in conjunction with frontline, which will sterlize the fleas, so not only are you killing live adults who land on the dog one by one, but you are sterilizing fleas as well. Sentinel or Program can be used with the frontline, and will sterilize the fleas so any eggs they lay won't hatch, and the larvae will not be able to grow either.

A flea bomb in the home gives you a good head start on the fleas too. Hardware stores and pet stores sell the flea bombs.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• thanks so much for all the ideas I cant believe how hard it has been to deal with my poor 4 yr old is the only one getting bitten but they are biting her bad grrr. I hate freaking pests
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• flea combs and hot water with a srop of dawn in it...sit there and pick fleas off them for a while and then bomb the house
    ajj_mami_grace

Answer by ajj_mami_grace at 11:56 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I didn't say to submerge your animal in dawn, jeeze a few drops people, will kill the fleas on them, it;s not the only thing I wash my dogs in! I would rather do that then 'BOMB MY HOUSE FULL OF CHEMICALS!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• dawn dish soap always worked on my dogs.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010