Overreacting?

I am working overnights and my husband keeps our 4 month old while I am at work. Husband calls me at 2 am and said he wants to come see me and wants to know if its ok to leave baby alone at home since he's sound asleep. Of course I tell him no. We are slow so I go home for a few min at 3am and I find baby home alone screaming...husband is no where to be found! I take baby back to work with me extremely angry. Husband calls a few min later and said he just ran to McDonalds a few blocks away. Am I overreacting to still be angry with him??

m0_mommy

Asked by m0_mommy at 6:21 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• You let him live? I'd say you are under-reacting...but that's coming from my standpoint. My husband would still be trying to pull my boot out of his ass...while sleeping in the car somewhere. I don't think you are overreacting at all. A lot can happen in just a few minutes. How would he have done something if the baby had gotten sick and aspirated vomit? Or if the house was on fire? Or if someone broke in? Or.....I can do "what if's" all night long.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 6:26 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Wow, I think your husband is missing a few brain cells. There have been cases where people have left the house for a 'few minutes' and houses have caught on fire and children died. Or as listed above, the baby could get sick or someone could break in. I can not believe anyone would even consider leaving a baby in a home alone like that.
    You are not over reacting, in fact, I think you are being a bit calm about it. I'd be absolutely freaking out.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Wow ..... and hell no you are most certainly not over reacting. Does he realize that if a neighbor or passer by had heard the baby screaming and called the police there would be a possibility that your baby would be taken away for neglect.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 6:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Oh yes and lets not forget all the other delightful things that can go wrong in just a few mins.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 6:35 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Holy crap! I would never allow him to be left alone with baby again. That is completely irresponsible and dangerous on so many levels.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Oh you better believe I freaked!! Couldnt believe this happened, he's usually such a great dad! Now Im considering whether I need a sitter or if I can trust it wont happen again....
    m0_mommy

Comment by m0_mommy (original poster) at 6:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Does he understand exactly how so wrong on so many levels this is?
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 6:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• He did after I exploded on him. He has never been around children....but common sense??
    m0_mommy

Comment by m0_mommy (original poster) at 6:51 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I read this, and I literally became nauseous. You are ABSOLUTELY NOT overreacting. This is the first post I've ever read where I can honestly say that. I can't even imagine the level of pissed I'd be. Seriously. Nauseous.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 6:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• That is ILLEGAL!!! Let him know it's illegal, and why. You can't just drive away from your home and leave your baby there!! What if his car broke down?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:12 AM on Nov. 29, 2010