Should christians celeberate holidays like holloween and christmas and easter

Are we as christians called pagans if we celebrate the holidays

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 6:38 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's all in what you choose to make of a holiday. Personally I choose not to read too far into it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Love to celebrate! Halloween, my kids would dress up (me too) but nothing scary! I love dress up and make believe. You need that to develop creativity and problem solving! And Christmas is a celebration of Jesus' birthday. Ok so it started as the same time as a pagan holiday, so what, it is not what we are celebrating.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 6:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Sorry not quite understanding why Christians should not celebrate the birth and death of Jesus. It might be close to some pagan holidays but it doesn't make them pagan now does it.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 6:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• as a Christian I don't tie any religious beliefs into Halloween.

we celebrate Christmas as Jesus' birthday and follow the old legend of the real person who existed, Saint Nick.

we celebrate the ressurection of Christ on Easter. this holiday is all things Christ. why would I not celebrate it as a Christian?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:03 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• We don't really celebrate halloween, but I do let my kids dress up and go trick or treating. Christmas O believe so becasue that is jesus' birthday and I also believing celecrating easter as well because that is the day he rose again
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:18 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Personally I don't think most people care what total strangers do as long as its not affecting what they and their family do in their own homes.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:46 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• They can. Whether or not they should will depend on their own perspective. Granted christmas was derived from the pagan holiday of yule, but there are some minor differences in the two holidays. Those minor differences are what makes it christmas instead of yule. Many of the traditions were kept the same so it would be easier to sway the pagans to christianity. But no celebrating pagan holidays does not make one a pagan. Halloween different story. Easter, like christmas, depends on one's own perspective.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My belief on the subject is, the way Americans have been celebrating these holidays for many many years, nothing is wrong with that. I think its fine for Christians to celebrate them as they are. Now, if we were to start doing all the rituals and such that Pagans actually did, that would be going against our religion. Each family holds these holidays in their own way. To celebrate or not is a personal choice. On Halloween we are dressing up and allowing our children to receive candy, not worshiping the dead. As for Easter and Christmas, we are having a family time together and some choose to recognize the days as times to celebrate the birth and the death and resurrection of Jesus, not nature.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I am Christian and love holidays. It all depends on what you make them. Halloween is actually my favorite holiday - I have great childhood memories of it, we have a huge party every year and it's the only holiday my MIL doesn't think she needs to spend with us. If you make the holiday about pagan things, then that's what it is in your home. In our home, we have the religious traditions as well as the fun traditions of many holidays. But, we are holiday people - we celebrate holidays from other cultures to help the kids learn about the world.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think it is perfectly okay to celebrate the holidays, no matter what it is. I will let my son dress up and go trick or treating but I will not allow him to dress as anything evil. Halloween should be made fun...in my opinion. When he gets older and wants to do the "scary" thing that will be up to him.

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2010