What to get him for lunches?

DH has spent the greater part of 15 years on the night shift....13 hour shifts. So I would pack actual meals and lots of snacks and food. Now he is on days, leaving after breakfast and returning home just before dinner. Now I need to pack just for lunch and a snack maybe. What do I pack? Is a sandwich enough? I am so used to packing him large amounts to get him through the day, a sandwhich and salad seem so puny.

What do you pack for you DH?

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 7:28 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I usually pack DH a lunch of leftovers from dinner the night before. Like a piece of Lasagna and a Salad, Pasta Salad w/Cubed Ham or Chicken, a piece of Steak w/a Salad & a small leftover Baked Potato ... anything he'd eat for dinner, but cut down into a smaller portion. Does your DH have access to a microwave & fridge?
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 7:48 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I don't pack for him. He is an adult and can do it himself. Which he doesn't. He just eats breakfast and then eats again when he gets home. He never eats lunch.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:32 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My DH can do for himself as well. I want to and like to do it for him. Skipping meals isn't an option for us. Not only is it not healthy, DH is hypoglycemic. Thanks.
    mom2queenie2004

Comment by mom2queenie2004 (original poster) at 7:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• leftovers are always great and filling (and cheap) ideas to throw in his lunch box. meatloaf sandwhiches are yummy. If they have a microwave he can use then the options are limitless. Does he like sushi? You could make a bento box http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bento

stuffed pita pockets, wraps

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:49 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Leftovers...thanks. That is a good idea.
    mom2queenie2004

Comment by mom2queenie2004 (original poster) at 7:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My hubs has always gotten his own lunches. When I worked out in the world one thing I would take in for lunch was left-overs, sometimes a sandwich and fruit, soup and crackers in cold weather..... If he is used to meals, then maybe send some of his favorites, but cut the portion size down, and send the 'leftover' portion the next day in his lunch.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:08 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Depends on if he has access to a microwave. TV dinners, leaft overs, any microavable prepackaged food.

Answer by louise2 at 8:21 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My DH loves Grumpy's. This is a wrap named for the resturant that makes them here in town. It is fresh turkey breast with coleslaw and a tomatoe in a tortilia. He loves them!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:23 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I always pack leftovers for my husband. I make a bigger meal the night before and pack leftovers in a medium size storage container. I ask him the morning before if he wants anything extra and sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. Your husband should be able to tell you if it was enough or not, so just communicate with him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:34 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• DH has been unemployed for over 2 years now, so it hasn't been an issue...
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 29, 2010