I believe I got ripped off..

I babysit a little boy (2) from 7:45 am to 6 ish 3 days a week. His mom pays me $100 for the 3 days a week. The week before last, on Tuesday, I was not warned that his dad was going to bring him in later (around 11am). So I still got up early and what not, and watched him until 6 ish. Friday his mom picked him up at 3:30 pm. She pays me $100 like normal. The following week I watch him Monday and Tuesday all day. At the end of the day she hands me the money. I don't count it in front of her ( i think it's rude)..I go to deposit it later on and I count $40. I'm thinking I'm losing cash, so I text her and ask if she gave me $70, which is what I expected. She says ' No, you get it? You worked 2 days last week. Joe dropped him off half a day and I picked him up half a day" I was totally like WTF?! When you do the math in reality I watched him 2 days and a half, but still I felt so underappreciated!! I treat this kid like he's my own and feed him super healthy foods (3 meals and snacks!), take him places etc.. I'm just such a wuss and non confrontational:( What would you do?

bingbong

Asked by bingbong at 8:03 AM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would let it go this time, but plan on sitting down with her to come to a mutual agreement and understanding of BOTH of your expectations--especially notifying you in advance of changes in pick up/drop off procedures, just like any other daycare would demand.

If she balks at the idea of giving you such consideration, I would draw up a notarized contract, and make her sign it before you offer to babysit again (give her a copy). If she agrees to the terms and signs it, great! If not, then she's going to end up paying A LOT more than you are charging...and not have the same degree of flexibility and one-on-one attention that you are offering/providing.

You have more control over the situation than you think. She needs YOUR services more than you need hers, as I'm sure you can get other children to watch that have parents more concerned over the quality of care than "nickle and diming" you! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:11 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• if you depend on this money then i would say to her..."next time something like this is going to happen then i would like for you to let me know because i depend on your money to pay my bills and i came up short this week".."now i have to find where i am going to get that money" NO daycare would let her only pay half.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:12 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• It's not up to her to decide all by herself how much she will pay you. When the routine is changed, the pay should be re-negotiated. I would chalk this one up as a learning experience, and next time, if there has not been previous discussion, count the money. It's not rude when one considers that this is a business transaction, even though the two of you may be friends.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:13 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree with NannyB, you have to chalk it up to a learning experience. Maybe tell her in the future that it's $100 a week, no matter what, because it's not like you can fill her time slot with more children at the last minute - you've committed to her that you will BE THERE for her child those days for that amount, now she needs to commit that she will PAY YOU for being there at her disposal. Good luck!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yeah, she knows that she is taking advantage of you. She is ballsy to pull that on a daycare provider. I would draw up a contract with her to protect you.

trashymom

Answer by trashymom at 8:39 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I agree with itzmyzoo. I would treat it like a daycare contract and you get paid no matter what. If you really need this job talk it over with her. You could also start to look for another position if you think it best. If you do, make sure you specify that you get paid no matter what with the next family. www.care.com and www.sittercity.com are good places to look for work. That's where I found my two part time jobs.  GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:19 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Yeah...I agree with the previous posters, sit her down and make sure you both have a clear understanding of your expectations of the business relationship you have regardless of how you feel for her children. Believe me, if someone else comes along that will do your job for less, she would not hesitate to jump that bandwagon.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:35 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Not too much you can do at this point but you can start a new process with her. My best friend use to watch my son I told her if i didn't bring him then I'd still pay bc she was expecting the $ but if she couldn't watch him then I would deduct that day. And for holidays I had paid from work I would pay her half day. I also would buy stuff for his lunches and breakfast to keep at her house. She fed him out of her own pocket some times but for the most part I would leave ceral, bread, peanut butter and snacks. You could ask her to do the same to help with some of the money, but don't lessen the price she already pays!! She needs to discuss with you when he wil be late and picked up early and that money will be deducted a few days in advance as long as you agree to it. It's sad that some people will take advantage of these situations.
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think the mom thought it thru at least. I'd try to understand how she got her number, personally. If it doesn't add up, then have a mature discussion with her about it to see if she can't explain her rationale behind it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:07 AM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think you are right, but I would let it go because you would have to talk her into paying you and then it would probably be weird between the two of you - know what I mean...

i also babysit 2 boys ( age 1 and 2 ) ... I do all their meals ad give them baths ( they dont get picked up until 8pm ) and somtimes she "forgets " to pay me... butg I am a wimp and sometimes dont ask for it
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 8:10 AM on Nov. 29, 2010